Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
I tried the Beta of LR3 but need to get more into because right now, it's a bit buggy and couldn't import my current Catalog from LR2. It's far too much work for me to re-create things in LR3 as I have them in LR2. Anyways, here's my wish list:

1) Let me customize my interface and re-map keys. Frankly, in my workflow, I download into LR from my CF card then I go through and Flag (P) and Reject (X) my photos, so it's easier to delete the Rejects when I'm done. Here's the problem: The P and X keys are too damn far apart. It be so much easier if they were right next to each other so I can use one hand to hit the Flag and Reject keys and the other hand to use my arrow keys.

2) GPU offloading. Come on Adobe. This is a no-brainer. I understand that my i7 860 CPU with 4 cores and 8 threads doesn't break much of a sweat, but I know some folks could use the help of their GPU to process LR operations. It's 2010, get with it.

3) Networking the database. Another "why haven't they done this yet". Between a laptop and my desktop, the catalog's should just sync as one for easier workflow. All this export to a folder, then import the catalog thing is complete nonsense.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
I would love to see key remapping in LR3. I've remapped just about every app that had that option to fit my needs. Especially Final Cut Pro.

I am hoping that all software makers get with the program with utilizing the GPU to handle such tasks.

I'd love it if LR3 got rid of the BS module UI and gave us an open workflow like a majority of the apps in the tech world. I hate not being able to perform certain tasks until I move into the Develop module, then having to go back to make more edits.

I'd REALLY love to see Adobe put some book/album layout features in LR3, features taken right from InDesign preferably. Adobe is dragging their feet with that option like Apple is dragging their feet making their own book layout options in Aperture better. Both companies have wonderful page layout apps, yet their other apps that could benefit from them are awful.

Same thing goes for multimedia. Cameras have been recording audio captions for years, Adobe needs to take a page from the Aperture book and keep them with the photo. DSLRs are now taking video. It may not be the best video I've seen but it's video nonetheless and having LR3 support video playback, organization, and output either alone or in photo slideshows would be greatly welcome.

Lastly, give us more Photoshop options. Give us the spot healing brush from Photoshop at least.

Ruahrc

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
That's a pretty good list. I didn't know LR didn't use GPU acceleration?

What I'd really like to see are just a few more adjustment controls

1: lens distortion. I dislike having to export to TIFF, load in PS, and re-import to LR if I want to fix some barrel/pincushion or perspective distortion.

2: dedicated dodging/burning tools. Yes you can hack it with the local adjustments brush by just applying some positive or negative exposure but if you are trying to do something more complex involving different areas with different intensities of dodge/burn, it gets hard to do that in LR.

3: when creating web galleries, give us the option to embed an icc profile other than sRGB. I have some pictures that don't map into sRGB properly, and need AdobeRGB to retain the original look. Why can't we do this?

Ruahrc

funkboy

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2008
elsewhere
Here's my wish list:

1) Let me customize my interface and re-map keys.

Agree, this should be doable easily as it is in most other pro apps.

2) GPU offloading.

OpenCL paves the way for this. There shouldn't be too many technical issues stopping them from compiling Lightroom against the new libraries (Photoshop is a whole other story). However, remember that Lightroom needs to work and have feature parity across win32, win64, and OS X in 32 & 64 bit mode, so this is not as trivial as it seems.

3) Networking the database.

If you've ever tried to maintain separate personal contact info in a phone and computer & keep them in sync then you'll know that this is far from easy. The current approach is about as good as it can be while completely avoiding the risk of syncing all your precious changes in the wrong direction.

Honestly just having the xmp sidecar data on the raw files is already pretty good.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
Two things I really wish Lr3 could do:
  1. Ability to mask areas off individual areas of a photograph to, for example, process corrections (such as noise reduction) for the sky differently from NR on skin tones or an area with deep shadows. Really, some sort of rudimentary layer functionality without having to go to Ps, but could alternately be something along the lines of the Detect Edges feature in Aperture 3. As long as the edits could be done non-destructively.
  2. Lens distortion corrections similar to what I get with DxO; specific to each camera back, lens, and even focal length (for zooms).
These are the two issues that make me export from raw in LR to PSD/TIFF/Serial (cooked) DNG and then come back again; neither is technically necessary except that it's functionality that Adobe hasn't bothered to build into Lr.

Throw in soft proofing and I'd be one happy Lr camper.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.