Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Flow91

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 10, 2015
Dear community members,

I have a MacBook Pro 13" from 2017 without touch bar. When it was new, it worked great. Accidentally, I dropped it once about two years ago, but for months I had no issues and it only had a small dent which is hardy noticeable, the screen is fine. It has no liquid damage. I then hardly used it and now I wanted to use it again, but it shows no reaction - there is no chime and the screen stays black, I can't hear the fan spinning. I tried all the possible boot methods (resetting the PRAM and SMC, safe boot, ...).

I opened it up and unplugged the battery because I read that sometimes MacBooks with those symptoms might boot when the battery is unplugged and they are then connected via the power cable, but still no reaction. I saw that the fan doesn't spin as well, so I think that the screen is still fine, but there is another problem I haven't found yet. It's just dead, although it looks like new.

I know that Apple has started an SSD replacement program for this model, but if it had a failing SSD it should show the folder with the question mark, right?

Do you have a new approach or an idea of what could be wrong with my MacBook?

I'm looking forward to any help and responses, thanks!

Flow91

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 10, 2015
Do you think it is probable that the I/O board (Apple part no. 923-01444) is broken so that it doesn't receive electricity? If so, do you know if it's possible to change it on your own (is it just screws or is soldering required)?

hobowankenobi

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2015
on the land line mr. smith.
Yes, if it is getting power you should see at least the fan spinning and some other faint sounds when you push the power button.

How long was it sitting unplugged?

It would be good to verify the power supply and USB C/TB charge cable is good. Does the power supply get warm when it is plugged in to the MBP? Know anybody you can borrow a power supply and cable from to test?

If the Apple stores were open...you could take it in and try charging there to rule out your power brick and cable.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.