Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

unknown87

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 19, 2007
I was gonna stick this in 'photo of the day' because well, it is MY personal photo of the day. Anyway, I used this camera when I was very small as my Grandfather had one. Luckily I stumbled on one of ebay recently and it just happened to coincide with me learning about film cameras.

So, presenting my Yashica Minister III!

dsc00062318cf.JPG

Anyone got any experiences with any Yashica camera, or anything I should look out for?! Apologies for the poor photo quality, its off my phone!

unknown87

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 19, 2007
Nah I made sure that this one didn't. I've read some horror stories of people that bought Yashicas and then failed to find the correct battery size (well not horror stories but :p....). There's also a very old box brownie upstairs that I'm very tempted to try...

roisin and mac

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2008
Nah I made sure that this one didn't. I've read some horror stories of people that bought Yashicas and then failed to find the correct battery size (well not horror stories but :p....). There's also a very old box brownie upstairs that I'm very tempted to try...

Go for it!! Then post the results here. Man, I get a warm fuzzy feeling seeing people use film cameras ;)

Xfujinon

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2007
Iowa City, Iowa
Those little Yashicas are nice cameras.

I have seven (yes, that's right, seven) Fujica ST-701's dating from between 1971 to 1973. While I love film, it was getting to be cost-prohibitive to shoot nice slide film anymore. Based on my calculations, I was using about a Canon EOS 30D's worth of film and development every year with these cameras. Although I miss film, especially the dark room part of it, it no longer made any financial sense for me (as a poor student) to be shooting endless quantities of slide film when for my skill level a new Canon EOS 40D would get me about the same results. So, that's what I got. Now, I spent about 300 dollars in total for the seven Fuji's, but I decided that the costs of film were absurd, and not worth the trade.

Film is going to only go up in price, although it is still pretty fun to play with now and again. As soon as Medium Format goes reliably (or affordably) digital, I think the jig is pretty much up for film as a mainstream commodity. It will always be around for enthusiasts or artists, but sooner or later it is gonna be hard to find.

Nevermind all that, enjoy your new camera, I LOVE ebay toys!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.