Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Slix

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 24, 2010
Hey everyone! A few days ago I picked up two new G4s to add to my list of PowerPC Macs.

I found a lady on Craigslist that had listed a bunch of miscellaneous computer stuff, and she said there were some Mac computers, but I only had the photos to go off of, so I shot her an email, and eventually decided on the MDD 1.25 GHz Power Mac G4 for a nice price of $25. I asked if she had any old RAM as well, hoping I could get some more for my iMac G3s to upgrade a few of them. The day of the scheduled meeting, she asked if I wanted a PowerBook G4 with a 1.67 GHz processor. I said of course! We met, and settled on $70 for the lot.

- Single 1.25 GHz MDD Power Mac G4, 80 GB HD, 786 MB RAM
- PowerBook G4 15", 1.67 GHz, 80 GB HD, 1 GB RAM
- 7 sticks of 256 MB PC133 RAM

Everything works nicely, and it's all in really nice shape too. I got them both set up today with fresh Leopard installs and a few of my applications I use when playing with these old computers (TenFourFox, Spotify, and Teleport).

I did have one note though that was slightly strange, but probably just due to being an old computer. The battery in the PowerBook charged up completely to 100% the day I got it, and then I let it drain while using it to see what would happen with the charge. It lasted about a half an hour (and the last like 15 minutes it was stuck on 1%), but then when I plugged it back in, it's stayed at 1% since then, saying the battery isn't charging. Yet, if I unplug it, it doesn't die immediately, so there is still some charge in it. The System Report says it has about 200 cycles and the condition is good. Any idea if it's just an incorrect battery display or the battery is simply bad?

I'm excited either way, I've been looking for a PowerBook G4 for a while now, and I got one of the best ones! :)

IMG_3500.jpg IMG_3652.JPG

Reactions: sawpits

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013
Hey everyone! A few days ago I picked up two new G4s to add to my list of PowerPC Macs.

I found a lady on Craigslist that had listed a bunch of miscellaneous computer stuff, and she said there were some Mac computers, but I only had the photos to go off of, so I shot her an email, and eventually decided on the MDD 1.25 GHz Power Mac G4 for a nice price of $25. I asked if she had any old RAM as well, hoping I could get some more for my iMac G3s to upgrade a few of them. The day of the scheduled meeting, she asked if I wanted a PowerBook G4 with a 1.67 GHz processor. I said of course! We met, and settled on $70 for the lot.

- Single 1.25 GHz MDD Power Mac G4, 80 GB HD, 786 MB RAM
- PowerBook G4 15", 1.67 GHz, 80 GB HD, 1 GB RAM
- 7 sticks of 256 MB PC133 RAM

Everything works nicely, and it's all in really nice shape too. I got them both set up today with fresh Leopard installs and a few of my applications I use when playing with these old computers (TenFourFox, Spotify, and Teleport).

I did have one note though that was slightly strange, but probably just due to being an old computer. The battery in the PowerBook charged up completely to 100% the day I got it, and then I let it drain while using it to see what would happen with the charge. It lasted about a half an hour (and the last like 15 minutes it was stuck on 1%), but then when I plugged it back in, it's stayed at 1% since then, saying the battery isn't charging. Yet, if I unplug it, it doesn't die immediately, so there is still some charge in it. The System Report says it has about 200 cycles and the condition is good. Any idea if it's just an incorrect battery display or the battery is simply bad?

I'm excited either way, I've been looking for a PowerBook G4 for a while now, and I got one of the best ones! :)

View attachment 633679 View attachment 633680
More often than not, its a bad battery. It is really rare to see batteries from this era stand the test of time. However, I'd like to chime in with a recent acquisitions, but I'm going to make a recent acquisitions thread.

Reactions: Slix

garirry

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2013
Canada is my city
Nice hoard of computers you've got! :) I really wish to get a PMG4 eventually. MDDs are excellent machines. But with my serious lack of money, it's getting difficult prioritising what to get. I have a PowerBook G4 as well, which is also 15" but a weaker model. And yeah, as keaton said, the bad battery is most likely the cause of no capacity of charging. You can't spell "Battery", "2005", and "Good" in the same sentence :p

Reactions: iModFrenzy and Slix

CapnDavey

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2015
Cool I picked up a 733 quicksilver at the hamfest on sunday for 20 dollars it has a gig of ram and a DVD burner cloned the factory drive from my MDD to a 120 gig put it in runs great

Attachments

• IMG_20160531_075711.jpg
    IMG_20160531_075711.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 178
Reactions: Slix and eyoungren

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013
Nice hoard of computers you've got! :) I really wish to get a PMG4 eventually. MDDs are excellent machines. But with my serious lack of money, it's getting difficult prioritising what to get. I have a PowerBook G4 as well, which is also 15" but a weaker model. And yeah, as keaton said, the bad battery is most likely the cause of no capacity of charging. You can't spell "Battery", "2005", and "Good" in the same sentence :p
"There is almost no good battery from 2005"

MysticCow

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2013
I wish I had that kind of luck. I'll have to scavenge for a decent PowerBook to become a portable jukebox. Since I travel, it would make things much easier on me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.