Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

taylorwilsdon

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 16, 2006
New York City
I've been thinking about running my own gallery software because I have several servers and hosting accounts that lie unused and when my Flickr pro subscription ran out a month ago, I decided now was the time.

I'm looking for people's thoughts on what I've done so far... obviously, there are only a few pictures because I'm re-adding them all, which takes a long time to upload (and to make matters worse, I'm working off a very slow old backup hard drive).

Just let me know what you think, and be brutal. I'm thinking of trying Smugmug or renewing my flickr, but if I can do it free with my existing resources then I'm even happier :)

http://gallery.taylorwilsdon.com/main.php

volvoben

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2007
nowhere fast
The reflection doesn't work so well on the 'y' in your name...

The layout itself is good. I always like seeing a custom gallery that the photographer has put some effort into, not just another flickr or smugmug page. There aren't too many jumps before you see what you wanted (ahem, like my page, oops), and the flash gallery is pretty smooth without being too slow.

Larger images might be preferable, but then again i'm on a large monitor.

Perhaps it's personal preference, but I'd prefer not seeing views or dates under the photos...just looks less clean/artistic.

wgilles

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2008
Looks good. I also must say that your sunset pictures are the only sunset pictures I've ever seen that I actually liked the sun in the middle. Nice job. :D

taylorwilsdon

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 16, 2006
New York City
The reflection doesn't work so well on the 'y' in your name...

The layout itself is good. I always like seeing a custom gallery that the photographer has put some effort into, not just another flickr or smugmug page. There aren't too many jumps before you see what you wanted (ahem, like my page, oops), and the flash gallery is pretty smooth without being too slow.

Larger images might be preferable, but then again i'm on a large monitor.

Perhaps it's personal preference, but I'd prefer not seeing views or dates under the photos...just looks less clean/artistic.

Just what I was looking for, much appreciated. I don't like the dates/views either. I'm going to see how to remove them.

Layout wise, I was going for the simpler the better. I actually did most of the work on a tiny monitor (the 12" one on my Thinkpad tablet) so it was funny to re-open it on my Cinema display (1920x1200 up from 1024x786!)

onomatopoeia

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2007
I looks very nice. I agree about the reflection on your name. I'd lose that but that's just me.

I'm also not a fan of light box image viewers. They are slow and as the visitor I have to click to close the image.

I'd also like to see your EXIF data for the images. I'm quite sure that's a feature within Gallery.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.