Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPenguin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2008
This is my work for the past few months. The architectural shots are a little distorted because I don't have a tilt/shift (although I am looking at a 24 f/3.5 - any opinions?). Please let me know what you think!

Football

2urtojo.jpg

4g101e.jpg

2nhn7up.jpg

33ys569.jpg

2h3o774.jpg

Architectural

2d7f053.jpg

2iawfmv.jpg

2w23434.jpg

Journalistic - Not my favorite

2qwzlo9.jpg

vf9t2c.jpg

Edge100

macrumors 68000
May 14, 2002
Where am I???
My $0.02:

Football Shots

1 & 2 are fine, but would have been better with a faster shutter speed to eliminate motion blur and freeze the football. You're bumping up against some noise there, so going to a higher ISO might not work. Football is tough!

3 is nice, but it's a shame about the umpire's face.

4 & 5 are nice captures, but somewhat boring photographs. I would prefer to see faces; football is a very passionate sport, and that is reflected on the faces of the players. Showing that is what makes a great sports photo, I think.

Architecture

1. This one's not doing much for me. Correct the perspective distortion in PS if possible, and if you're serious about architecture photography, look into a TS lens (not cheap).

2. Again, not sure what your subject is here. You probably had lots of time to frame this; if so, why did you let the stop sign block out the name of the bank? If you had moved a few feet to the right, this would have been better. A good night capture, though; clean and sharp. Would also benefit from perspective correction in PS or the use of a TS lens.

3. This is my favourite of the bunch; the only thing I might do it give it some additional contrast to darken the skies a bit more. I like this one.

"Journalistic"

1. I like this, but I would have put the firefighter more to the right of the frame; as it stands, he's too close to the centre for my tastes. Moving him to the right (and away from the open door behind him, if possible) would have added some additional tension to the shot.

2. This is really nice, and my favourite of all of the ones you posted. There's a look on her face that is saying, "If I have to flip one more omelette today, I'm going to burst!" She's well positioned, the shot is taken from the right vantage point, with good DoF. I'd play with the PP a bit, but that's minor. This one is excellent.

disambiguates

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2008
Overall I think you have some nice work. The last photo I think is definitely your strongest although I think it might work better as a portrait, with less space on the right. Sports photography is really not my thing but I think these are your weakest shots. I agree with edge: being able to see the player's faces would make these shots much more expressive. And the first 2 have a very digital look to them. Noise is too apparent in the second.

That said I would like to see more of your architectural shots. The bridge one is very nice. Maybe next time you post you can share a few options for each.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.