Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cutsman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 1, 2006
I visited the Brick Works yesterday. I've been hearing so much about how great it is for photography and to be honest, it's awesome there. If you're ever in Toronto, you should definitely spend a few hours there with your camera... bring a tripod though because it's very dark inside. I also hear that come this spring, they are going to start renovations to make it a tourist area... which is VERY unfortunate!

Here are a few of the shots I took (more on my zenfolio page)... it's really amazing there and I don't think my shots really do the Brick Works any justice... but here they are. Any comments, criticism or tips for improvement would be awesome! Thanks!!!

p767001252-4.jpg

p792620951-4.jpg

p606574696-4.jpg

p633655145-4.jpg

p608648134-4.jpg

p630046570-4.jpg

cutsman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 1, 2006
The Brick Works is located just north of the Don Valley Parkway and Bayview Ave. If you're on the DVP, take the Bayview exit ... it's pretty much right there.

http://local.google.ca/local?f=q&hl=en&q=544+bayview+ave,+toronto&ll=43.683977,-79.364612&spn=0.03898,0.108147

Keep in mind that, in theory, entry into the buildings is prohibited due to safety issues so do exercise some caution when you're there. With that said, many people do still go to the brick works. I would also recommend going with at least one other person... You'll love it there..

cutsman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 1, 2006
My first ever pano!

Here is my very first attempt at a panorama. A total of 10 frames (at f/9, 20sec, iso 200) were stitched together to form the photo below. Let me know what you guys think or what I can do to improve.

p282819238-5.jpg

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Not much snow in Toronto?

As an industrial archaeologist, I find any abandoned industrial site fascinating, and wish I could produce pictures like these. Nice work! If only more people appreciated sites like this rather than abusing them...

Raid

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2003
Toronto
Keep in mind that, in theory, entry into the buildings is prohibited due to safety issues so do exercise some caution when you're there. With that said, many people do still go to the brick works. I would also recommend going with at least one other person... You'll love it there..
I bike around the brick works on occasion but I was never curious (brave?) enough to venture inside... the photos are great! Did you get any exterior shots? The rise on the north and east sides offer great vantage points... not sure how it would look right now though, but I really like the view in mid to late spring.

Not much snow in Toronto?
Nope, after New Year's it warmed up and the snow is gone... it's killing the skiing around here. :(

cutsman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 1, 2006
I bike around the brick works on occasion but I was never curious (brave?) enough to venture inside... the photos are great! Did you get any exterior shots? The rise on the north and east sides offer great vantage points... not sure how it would look right now though, but I really like the view in mid to late spring.

Nope, after New Year's it warmed up and the snow is gone... it's killing the skiing around here. :(

I did take some exterior shots, but I didn't like the way they turned out. The dull sky (saturday was overcast) didn't do anything for the photos. I'll definitely take your suggestion of walking up the hill and taking a few shots on a nice day. I hear come spring, they will be renovating the brick works and turning it into some huge tourist area... now is the time to go take some photos.

And don't get me started about the lack of snow now.. i have yet to go boarding once this season. :(

MT37

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2006
Oshawa, ON, CA
The Brick Works is located just north of the Don Valley Parkway and Bayview Ave. If you're on the DVP, take the Bayview exit ... it's pretty much right there.

http://local.google.ca/local?f=q&hl=en&q=544+bayview+ave,+toronto&ll=43.683977,-79.364612&spn=0.03898,0.108147

Awesome, thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.