Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cookie1105

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 27, 2006
London, UK
/**Dazed & Confused
*******************/

I have been at it all night, but I think I have cracked it. Now it is time for usability testing:D

I have just put up my new photo/personal site, www.fotish.dk. If you could spare a minute to have a look and offer your C&C, I would be most grateful.

Thanks

Andy

TheSailerMan

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2006
New York, New York
Overall, you've got an awesome site. I like the simplicity and the controls when viewing photos.

However, with the size of my browser window (which is pretty large), the very bottom of vertical shots are cut off, and I can't see the "Play" button.

Very nice site though! :)

...and the fourth photo under "spaces" is my favorite. I love the reflection on the water!

cookie1105

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 27, 2006
London, UK
Thank you for the positive comments.:)

I think the images are displaying a little bit too large. If I make them a bit smaller, they should reveal themselves.

Will give it a go.

Cheers

extraextra

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2006
California
What resolution is this optimal for? It's kind of cramped/cut off on 1024x768. Otherwise it's really good design-wise, and I love your photos!

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Seriously great design, agreed about the size, but hey....don't we live in the world of 20" monitors anyway?!

Orlando Furioso

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2005
Bezerkeley
Pretty. I like the simplicity of your site. It shows off the work nicely. I love the elegant transitions and reveals (photo number/set#).

I cannot see the play button either. Did not know there was one until it was mentioned in the thread. Something about the way your elements auto-position themselves keeps the play button from showing up at all. I see it briefly while resizing the browser window, but it disappears again when everything aligns itself.

The only thing that kind of bugs me, and it is purely an aesthetic preference, is the type treatment of the site name "fotishfotografi". The type looks rather squished already, and it is further cramped by the tiny strip of space it sits within. There are also some unpleasing kearning/tracking issues. I'm not a type person, but it was the first thing I noticed. Luckily your first "spaces" photo loaded in the nick-of-time to distract me from closing the browser window. =) It is also my favorite of the set.

qpawn

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2003
California
the design works somewhat okay for the small number of photos you have... but still, when i wanted to take a look at Picture "11/11" one more time... 10 clicks later. :eek:

probably a reason why you see thumbnails in a lot of galleries.

nice pics. :)

cookie1105

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 27, 2006
London, UK
Thank you everyone for your comments. They really do make my site more user-friendly. I have made some updates.

• Nearly everyone commented that they couldn't see the play button, a little bit of padding and changing the stage height fixed this.

• Orlando Furioso, you said that there were some kearning/tracking issues in the header. It was intentional that there wasn't a space between the two words. But, I have changed it and I think the result is easier on the eye.

• qpawn, you were having some navigation issues with the gallery. Unfortunately this is the drawback with Autoviewer. I have tried other thumbnail based gallery viewers, simpleviewer, simplephoto, zenphoto... but I decided that Autoviewer works better for showcasing a portfolio.

• Other adjustments: made links inside content text clearer, some positional stuff to make it all line up better :)

keep 'em coming

cheers

Andy

oblomow

macrumors 601
Apr 14, 2005
Netherlands
On my display the 'whoami' part is cut off. (15"powerbook & safari)
Don't like the crossed out links, when select a link:

fotish.jpg

Like your photos though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.