Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MC1763

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 17, 2017
Hey guys Im a new youtuber, I was wondering if you could lend me some constructive criticism on my videos as I take on this new venture.

Here is my review on the Apple Home Pod:

Thanks in advance.

Reactions: The Game 161

Moakesy

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2013
UK
I think you've done really well. I like you style and your voice tone is well suited to reviews...it has a warm feel to it.

Pros
  • Warm voice and nice tone.
  • It's clear the review is about the product and not at all about you (as some YouTubers like to do). You don't allow your personality to get in the way of the review.
  • Some good tests, like the Hey Siri test from up to 50 ft away
  • Very nice visuals, good camera work
  • Sound quality was good

Areas to work on
  • It was about 40 seconds to a minute too long IMO, you could have said all that was needed in less time
  • Could have been more structured. So you mention about sound quality in a number of different place, same again with Siri. Grouping all comments in sections would have been better (sound quality / Siri capability / build quality etc)
  • The 'in practicality' phrase at around 0:48 bugs me, don't know why.
  • Sometimes it felt like you were reading aloud (presumably from your script), rather than speaking naturally. Overall, I really liked your style, just a few odd occasions it felt unnatural. See at around 4:20 and compare it to 3:00 when your comments flow more naturally.
  • Whilst pointing out that other people can send texts from your phone via the HomePod, you should have mentioned this feature can be switched off.
  • Small point, but standing the speaking on a stool isn't a normal use-case. Talking about sound quality when the speaker is on a soft bouncy base takes away from the credibility of the review. Think about your target audience who will watch this...any audiophiles will just be shouting at you at this point!

In short, I'd say it was a great first video. There are a couple of areas to work on but if it was me who'd produced that I'd be very pleased with myself.

All my comments meant to be taken constructively.

MC1763

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 17, 2017
I think you've done really well. I like you style and your voice tone is well suited to reviews...it has a warm feel to it.

Pros
  • Warm voice and nice tone.
  • It's clear the review is about the product and not at all about you (as some YouTubers like to do). You don't allow your personality to get in the way of the review.
  • Some good tests, like the Hey Siri test from up to 50 ft away
  • Very nice visuals, good camera work
  • Sound quality was good

Areas to work on
  • It was about 40 seconds to a minute too long IMO, you could have said all that was needed in less time
  • Could have been more structured. So you mention about sound quality in a number of different place, same again with Siri. Grouping all comments in sections would have been better (sound quality / Siri capability / build quality etc)
  • The 'in practicality' phrase at around 0:48 bugs me, don't know why.
  • Sometimes it felt like you were reading aloud (presumably from your script), rather than speaking naturally. Overall, I really liked your style, just a few odd occasions it felt unnatural. See at around 4:20 and compare it to 3:00 when your comments flow more naturally.
  • Whilst pointing out that other people can send texts from your phone via the HomePod, you should have mentioned this feature can be switched off.
  • Small point, but standing the speaking on a stool isn't a normal use-case. Talking about sound quality when the speaker is on a soft bouncy base takes away from the credibility of the review. Think about your target audience who will watch this...any audiophiles will just be shouting at you at this point!

In short, I'd say it was a great first video. There are a couple of areas to work on but if it was me who'd produced that I'd be very pleased with myself.

All my comments meant to be taken constructively.

Your advice helps tremendously, I am truly thankful, thank you for taking the time to give me the most material, Im only trying to get better from here and this gives me something to work with!

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Overall, I think you did an excellent job with your first video. As someone who hasn't seen a Homepod before, your video was pleasing and informative.

Positives
1) Diction, tone, and volume was at the right levels for a pleasing listen. Did not hear any umms, (which is a big plus) or unnecessary silence as if you didn't know what to say.
2) Plenty of visuals of the product
3) Started to show the setup process
4) Showed a few examples of Siri in action
5) Video editing was very smooth and pleasing to watch
6) Did not have unnecessary background music running while you were talking.
7) Informing the viewer what the Homepod is not
8) Overall the length of the video was good

Room for improvement
1) Should have shown the entire setup process, so that the viewer could see that your simplicity claim was true
2) No need to show a small graphic that supposedly showed what others said about the product, when your video is a personal review
3) Should have given more examples highlighting Siri's strengths and weaknesses (in regards to voice recognition and response (including accuracy or failure)
4) Referring to Siri as a "she," (Anthropomorphism) is inaccurate and unnecessary. And if said numerous times in a video, it can become distracting for some listeners.
5) I agree with the first responder. You could have done better with about 30 seconds less redundancy.

Reactions: MC1763

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
My only critique and it drives me nuts is you say “hey Siri”. Even from my iPhone my HomePod started telling me the weather. I had to stop the video.

Using a text overlay that says “Hey Siri” then asking your question would be less annoying. Or if Apple would get their **** together and only respond to my voice....

You have a good voice for the job though.

Reactions: MC1763

MC1763

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 17, 2017
Overall, I think you did an excellent job with your first video. As someone who hasn't seen a Homepod before, your video was pleasing and informative.

Positives
1) Diction, tone, and volume was at the right levels for a pleasing listen. Did not hear any umms, (which is a big plus) or unnecessary silence as if you didn't know what to say.
2) Plenty of visuals of the product
3) Started to show the setup process
4) Showed a few examples of Siri in action
5) Video editing was very smooth and pleasing to watch
6) Did not have unnecessary background music running while you were talking.
7) Informing the viewer what the Homepod is not
8) Overall the length of the video was good

Room for improvement
1) Should have shown the entire setup process, so that the viewer could see that your simplicity claim was true
2) No need to show a small graphic that supposedly showed what others said about the product, when your video is a personal review
3) Should have given more examples highlighting Siri's strengths and weaknesses (in regards to voice recognition and response (including accuracy or failure)
4) Referring to Siri as a "she," (Anthropomorphism) is inaccurate and unnecessary. And if said numerous times in a video, it can become distracting for some listeners.
5) I agree with the first responder. You could have done better with about 30 seconds less redundancy.
Thank you so much for this, I will be using your critiques to improve my work!
[doublepost=1522178721][/doublepost]
My only critique and it drives me nuts is you say “hey Siri”. Even from my iPhone my HomePod started telling me the weather. I had to stop the video.

Using a text overlay that says “Hey Siri” then asking your question would be less annoying. Or if Apple would get their **** together and only respond to my voice....

You have a good voice for the job though.
I apologize about that, I completely forgot to mute the trigger word but next time I definitely will.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.