Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jusacruiser

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2009
Palm Beach, Florida
For about a month now, my iPhone 7 mysteriously has a notification sound.

I would like to turn off that "ding" without having to put my entire phone on mute.

I have looked EVERYWHERE in Settings to try and figure out what could possible be causing the "ding" notification sound. I checked the "Notifications" category. I checked the "phone" settings. I checked "Safari."

What in the world could that noise possibly be? How do I turn off that random "ding" without putting my whole phone on mute?

:confused:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Does it happen when you are using the phone or just when it's sitting somewhere? Is it just a single "ding" that happens once in a while, or something more regular or repeated? Have you checked your notifications and any app badges that you see following the ding to see if there's anything new/different there that might be related?

jusacruiser

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2009
Palm Beach, Florida
Does it happen when you are using the phone or just when it's sitting somewhere? Is it just a single "ding" that happens once in a while, or something more regular or repeated? Have you checked your notifications and any app badges that you see following the ding to see if there's anything new/different there that might be related?
It usually just happens when the phone is just sitting there.....sitting on the table or not being used currently. Sometimes it will be in my pocket and I will hear it. Yes, I have been studying all my notifications in settings to see if there is anything that seems out of the ordinary. What do you think?

keiranmussell

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2014
Do you have emails setup that have rules to go to other folders?

I had to mute my work emails as emails would be going into other folders and would make the sound but no sign of it being there with badges or banners.

jusacruiser

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2009
Palm Beach, Florida
Do you have emails setup that have rules to go to other folders?

I had to mute my work emails as emails would be going into other folders and would make the sound but no sign of it being there with badges or banners.
Keiran.....That's a good suggestion......to look at my email rules. It will take me at least a few days to examine that. I will let you know if I find the "ding" culprit.

gumnaam

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2009
Keiran.....That's a good suggestion......to look at my email rules. It will take me at least a few days to examine that. I will let you know if I find the "ding" culprit.

Same issue here. Nothing causes it to go off. I went through all the system sounds and nothing resembles the sounds coming out. It stops music and video completely. I have to restart the music or video after this ding is completed. Music on the native app, music on pandora, video on netflix, youtube etc.

I also went through all the apps which notifications set to off and compared that the same setting was replicated under the individual app settings

jusacruiser

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2009
Palm Beach, Florida
Same issue here. Nothing causes it to go off. I went through all the system sounds and nothing resembles the sounds coming out. It stops music and video completely. I have to restart the music or video after this ding is completed. Music on the native app, music on pandora, video on netflix, youtube etc.

I also went through all the apps which notifications set to off and compared that the same setting was replicated under the individual app settings
Let me know if you ever figure it out. Maybe it is a bug. I have not heard that noise for a couple of months now.

Wap88

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2019
This problem as been happening to me for months, first on the X now on the Xr.. Anybody figured this out?

nieks

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2016
The Netherlands
I had it once: notification sound, but no notification on screen. Weird, i thought.
However, under:
> settings > mail > notifications > [account]
you can disable notifications, but leave the sound on. Have you checked those settings?

Wap88

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2019
I had it once: notification sound, but no notification on screen. Weird, i thought.
However, under:
> settings > mail > notifications > [account]
you can disable notifications, but leave the sound on. Have you checked those settings?

I cancel the Mail App, because I use AirMail..

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
How often does it happen? Make a note of whether it’s regular or irregular.

Is it always during the same time of day/night or at different times?

Wap88

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2019
It's the most annoying thing. I will have to start make a note of when it happanes.
It's mostly during the day. if music or video is playing, it will stop the playing.
it happens when its connected via bluetooth to the car or when it's just sitting on my desk.
if I scroll down the notification, there is no visual notification the goes off with it!!

nieks

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2016
The Netherlands
Have you checked under > Settings > notifications, maybe there is an app on your list that has no badges or banners, but does have sounds on?

lavachickie

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2011
Yes, just did.. nothing suspicious

Ooooh, I had this issue -- maddening! Thanks to this thread, I found and fixed it. I'd recently added my work email to my phone. Somehow the notifications were set to give an audible notification but no banner or anything else. So they appeared to be phantom rings.

Having read this, I sat at my desk for a bit and sure enough, noticed the correlation between when an Outlook email came in, and when the ding appeared. I went into Settings > Email > and set the notification to nothing.

Whew! Craziness solved.

Amy

MidNiteRaider

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2020
For about a month now, my iPhone 7 mysteriously has a notification sound.

I would like to turn off that "ding" without having to put my entire phone on mute.

I have looked EVERYWHERE in Settings to try and figure out what could possible be causing the "ding" notification sound. I checked the "Notifications" category. I checked the "phone" settings. I checked "Safari."

What in the world could that noise possibly be? How do I turn off that random "ding" without putting my whole phone on mute?

:confused:
The same thing was occurring with me on my iPhone 11 Pro only a couple months ago. It took quite a while to find it but finally I discovered that in my case it was from Facebook messenger. Adjust your settings on Facebook if this could be a possible solution for you.

Reactions: jusacruiser

Sueperb

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2021
The same thing was occurring with me on my iPhone 11 Pro only a couple months ago. It took quite a while to find it but finally I discovered that in my case it was from Facebook messenger. Adjust your settings on Facebook if this could be a possible solution for you.
I get this occasionally I know it’s the fb messenger sound but no message. When you had the noise was there a notification or message to follow the noise?

jusacruiser

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2009
Palm Beach, Florida
I get this occasionally I know it’s the fb messenger sound but no message. When you had the noise was there a notification or message to follow the noise?
Come to think of it, I have not heard the ding since I got my iPhone 12 Max. I will check my FB settings however. Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.