Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MDK123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 13, 2021
Let’s solve a mystery!

Is there anyone who has access to an iPad Magic Keyboard for 12.9” iPad Pro as well as access to either a 10.9” iPad Air (4th gen) or 11” iPad Pro?

If yes, then try this out and let me know what happens.

Hypothesis: The smaller iPad may actually connect to the larger Magic Keyboard and even work despite having a lot of extra, ugly space in the corner since the smart connector is the same. Also, it might not hold on to the magnets but may work if the smart connector is properly aligned (which obviously useless but is worth trying). Another possibility is that it might just stick to keyboard but not work (which would be disappointing).

Test 1: Try putting the 11”/10.9“ iPad on the larger magic keyboard by the camera hole and also other locations across the magnetic zone.
Test 2: Try aligning the smart connector of the iPad with of the keyboard (You may have to hold it manually if the magnets don’t work) and use the trackpad and keyboard to see if it works.
Test 3: Rotate the iPad 180 degrees to the right and align the smart connector and try to use the keyboard.
Test 4: Check backlight of keyboard during ’Test 2 and 3’.
Test 5: If you happen to have one of the ‘Switch Easy CoverBuddy’ cases for the smaller iPad, put it on and then repeat the tests above. (OPTIONAL)
Test 6: Try to forgive me if these tests were a waste of time ?

I couldn’t find anything like this over the internet so asked on the forum. If you have the required things, it’s definitely worth trying, or else, simply share it with someone who has. Do let me know your findings and how the tests went (share pictures is possible) in the comments and what you think might be the reason for whatever the conclusion is.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.