Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Susja

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 22, 2017
I do love Apple products but for Navigation I prefer Google Map.
I have iPhone X. If I start Navigation from Google Map I don’t have an issue BUT when I invoke Navigation using Google Assistant it provides me Navigation using Apple Maps.
My point is that I want to start Navigation not directly from Google Map but remotely I.e. using headphones or Google Assistant.
Hence rewarding above I would ask how to enforce using Google Map instead of Apple Map when you are not directly on your phone?
Thanks

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Not possible.

However, you can ask Siri to launch Google Maps and then use voice dictation.

Reactions: I7guy

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
My iOS Google Assistant app shows me a preview of the route and when I click 'start' it launches Google Maps. In the iOS Gmail app under settings there is a 'default apps' section where you can select Google Maps, Waze, or Apple Maps. I couldn't find something similar in the Google Assistant app.

Susja

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 22, 2017
Not possible.

However, you can ask Siri to launch Google Maps and then use voice dictation.
Well I could open Google Maps using Siri but afterwards when I request Navigation using Siri it gives me direction in Apple Map

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Well I could open Google Maps using Siri but afterwards when I request Navigation using Siri it gives me direction in Apple Map

There’s voice dictation within google maps.

4c0cb613830378b648dff2c8bb6ad420.jpg

Susja

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 22, 2017
That’s true.
I noticed that but my point is to get Navigation without touching the phone. I want to use a headphone, either invoke Siri or Google Assistant and get directions in Google Maps. ( I have Google Assistant button on Bose ).
Following you instructions I was able to open Google Maps using Siri but when I requested directions it gave me navigation in Apple Maps.
Thanks anyway. I am not sure that being in Google Maps I could invoke its own mic like in your picture

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Yes you can’t do that. I was just trying to provide some workaround. All default OS wide integration is going to be Apple apps.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018

Oh! You didn't mention Siri in your original post.

Two ideas:

1) Hey Siri, launch Google Assistant. Ok Google, directions to ____.
2) Create a Siri shortcut to place that opens in Google Maps. I have one called "take me to my event" that brings up the location of my next calendar event in Google Maps.

Reactions: akash.nu

Susja

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 22, 2017
My iOS Google Assistant app shows me a preview of the route and when I click 'start' it launches Google Maps. In the iOS Gmail app under settings there is a 'default apps' section where you can select Google Maps, Waze, or Apple Maps. I couldn't find something similar in the Google Assistant app.
Well .... you did a great point.
I don’t have Gmail on my phone. Would you suggest to install and try to play with it?
Actually I don’t care which assistant to use Siri or Google because my goal is to navigate using Google and not touching iPhone but via headphones

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
I do love Apple products but for Navigation I prefer Google Map.
I have iPhone X. If I start Navigation from Google Map I don’t have an issue BUT when I invoke Navigation using Google Assistant it provides me Navigation using Apple Maps.
My point is that I want to start Navigation not directly from Google Map but remotely I.e. using headphones or Google Assistant.
Hence rewarding above I would ask how to enforce using Google Map instead of Apple Map when you are not directly on your phone?
Thanks
Just tried mine on both iPhone X & iPad Pro via Google Assistant & it went straight to Google Maps.

I think I needed to allow Assistant to access Location or Maps?

Edit...Ok, with headphones that invoke Google Assistant, you’ll still struggle, as you need to unlock the phone to open the Assistant - I just discovered that when I told Siri my Shortcut to open the Assistant, it wouldn’t do it unless I was looking at my phone to allow Face ID to unlock it.

If you’re looking at your phone, then you’d just;

Say “Ok Google” (My Shortcuts keyword to open Google Assistant)
Say “Ok Google, take me to _____”

Last edited:
Reactions: Susja

Susja

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 22, 2017
Well I was able to fix it by installing Gmail and setting Google app as default for Navigation BUT now I have another issue.
It works fine when the phone is unlocked but the whole idea behind it is to control / invoke Navigation without touching the phone.
I checked all settings including Allow Siri access app on locked screen but it still request me every time in order to open Google Assistant “ You need to unlock your phone first”
Any ideas Folks?

Susja

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 22, 2017
Additional information:
I had a meeting with Apple Support.
They were able to open app on locked screen directly from the phone.
Hence they concluded it’s my headphones is not fully compatible with Siri.
It looks to me that nothing more could be done from my side to open app from headphones.
Thanks

Susja

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 22, 2017
Just a suggestion, as I don't use Google Assistant. Have you tried deleting Apple Maps from your phone.
Well on this case it’s nothing to do with Maps.
The issue is that headphone can’t open any application

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.