Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JuiceyJuice

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Hey all,

I asked a similar question a few days ago, but I was looking to see what type of ND filters to get for my camera/lenses. I have a Nikon D3000, with the kit 18-55mm lens, a 55/200mm, and a 35mm 1.8 prime.

I was looking to see what brand and what mm would be the best bet for the Neutral Density filters for my setup.

Thanks!

schataut

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2010
If you indicate your price range then it will be easy for people to answer. There are ones that cost100s of dollars and there are cheaper ones too. If you are just starting out try Hi-Tech filters with Cokin P series holder.

JuiceyJuice

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Yeah sorry, I'm not looking to spend $100's. I was looking to get maybe a set of three grad ones, 3 6 and 9. I guess the main thing I'm confused on are what are the best brands for the money, and is there a reason to go with different mm sizes?

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
I assume you're talking about solid NDs and not graduated NDs (the latter might be used shooting sunsets, for example).

B+W makes good quality ND filters. They're not the cheapest available, but they're uniform and show no color cast. I'd say you shouldn't go cheaper than that.

I'd also suggest buying them in 77mm, so you don't end up repurchasing another set when you buy a new lens that has a larger (or smaller) filter size. Step-up rings are cheap.

Ruahrc

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
I'd also suggest buying them in 77mm, so you don't end up repurchasing another set when you buy a new lens that has a larger (or smaller) filter size. Step-up rings are cheap.

The OP has a D3000 (lowest-end Nikon DSLR) and the kit lenses. I'm not sure that you could definitively say a 77mm lens is in their future, and if it is, the extra $150 on a new filter the $1500+ purchase likely needed to get one is not too extreme a "tax" to pay if that eventuality ever comes to pass.

Given that all 3 of his current lenses are 52mm thread, I am going to disagree and suggest getting a good quality 52mm screw in if they are after a solid ND filter. It will be much less expensive and preserve use of the lens hood (as opposed to the 77mm step up which will preclude hood usage).

If the OP is after GNDs, buying fewer GNDs of higher quality will always be a better bet than more GNDs of lower quality. The 1-stop (0.3 filter) is pretty specialized and often just shooting RAW, UniWB, or just underexposing slightly is going to do the trick. It's a filter I'd pick up later if I really got into it.

Unfortunately the reality of it is that to get a good set of GNDs will probably cost at least $150-200 at the minimum. I'd start with a set of 2 filters if you're on a tight budget.

Ruahrc

The Mad Kiwi

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2006
In Hell
Just get the Cokin P series ND grad set, they're prefect for what you want.

There's no need to buy Grads that are as expensive than your lenses, that'd just be a waste of money.

If you want to slow down time, get a 9 or 10 stop ND as well, nice for waterfalls, ocean shots or city shots if you take a tripod.

rsday75

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2009
Check out http://www.2filter.com. I have had very good results with their Marumi filters from Japan. And, they don't break the bank. I have the 8 stop ND. Check the reviews for Marumi. Excellent filters in the ND and Polarized types.

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
I have used 2filters.com in the past, and they are great. I no longer use them, but i have nothing but good things to say.

What are you shooting, that you need an ND filter. I have had a variety of ND filters over the years, and they were used for the same thing..waterfalls.
I think since it is summer and the sun is going to be intense, you would be better off with a darker ND.

You have several options right now. I agree with what someone said about getting super expensive stuff that cost almost the same as your lenses. At this point anyways.

You would probably be better off getting a Cokin P holder, buying a Singh-Ray ND filter, and adapter rings. So you will have one great filter, and can use on all your lenses. The problem is that you have to be a bit more careful with the square style, cannot use a lens hood (you can buy Cokins' hood), and the lens cap will not fit onto the front lens, due to the ring. Of course, you can take the ring off easily.

You can get some cheap filters, but that i don't condone :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.