Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

7zarkie7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2023
Hi,

I have a M2 Max 32GB machine which is now a few weeks old. I am having this odd problem where the fans spin up randomly for about 10 seconds to the max when the system is under no load (3%, 94% idle) , also the ambient temp in the UK is very low and the laptop itself is on a stand (raised).

When the fans spin up there is no ramp up - they just go straight to max. I have uninstalled any monitoring software like istatsmenu etc to see if that was the problem but no joy.

The odd thing I notice is that fan monitoring software does not seem to be able to list the RPM of the fans when this behaviour is happening, i.e. they show 0% RPM.

Has anybody seen anything like this before , do I just have a bad unit ?

Mark

kappabruce

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2023
I've had my M2 Pro MBP 14" for 2 months now. I had one instance a month in where the fan suddenly ramped up, from fan off state all the way to 4000 RPM in a matter of a few seconds, then went back down to off state again after a few seconds.

I was not doing anything intensive, just browsing the web. The CPU/GPU temperatures were in the low 40s celsius. I can't replicate or understand what caused it but I stopped worrying about it.

I have TG Pro installed, but I do not have the fan controlling part of it installed. TG Pro did show the RPM change correctly (matched what I heard).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.