Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wakerider017

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 20, 2006
US of A
Hey guys!

I am looking to buy a Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi Camera..

This is supposed to be a pretty good camera... What do you think?

Well anyway I found it for $355 for the body on some site... this is crazy right?

Well here is the link:

http://www.ccicameracity.com/canondrxti.html

What do you think?

Also What lens do you think I should get? I am a complete N00b.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
wakerider017 said:
...buy a Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi Camera..

This is supposed to be a pretty good camera..
Well anyway I found it for $355 for the body on some site..
http://www.ccicameracity.com/canondrxti.html

What lens are you getting? You will need one. Remember "Lenses make images. cameras only record the image." So to your first qurestion is the camera good? Answer: It will not work at all without a lens, you need to pick one. Even if the "XTi" where a great choise (it may be) I would not suggest you buy it until you can say why you don't want a Nikon D50 or D80 or some other Canon or an Olympus. If you can't explain to yourself why then you are just buying at random

Now for the price. No way one Earth will you actually get the camera for that price. Yes you can PAY that price but they will NOT ship you the camera. The first clue is that this is a Brooklyn shop. most camera shops there are crooks. Next try a google search on "cameracity" and read what others are saying about it. You don't find much that is good. The word "rip off" does show up

The way the scam typically works is that ater you place the order they call you and suggest that you also need things like batteries, camera case, lens, a warenty and so on these will all be overpriced low quality made in China junk and if you reuse and say "just ship the camera" it will be "out of stock" then you try and cancel the order and they charge you 20% "restocking fee".

Buy from a reputable store. B&H Photo, Amazon and the like.

wakerider017

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 20, 2006
US of A
You guys could not be more dead on... That place is a complete scam.

Look at their rating:

.06 out of 10

About 150 ppl voted and wrote a review...

I have never seen a rating soo low...

I went and checked their contact info... Their e-mail address is a @aol.com...

I google mapped it with a satelite view and you can see their shop is a little hole in the wall... One of those NY shops with stolen merchandise or fakes...

Looks like if it is too good to be true it probably is... I guess I am just too trusting...

Yah I am really not sure about which camera to get, nor do I know what lens to get... Like I said I am a big time n00b...

My friend has a Rebel XT and that thing was sweet... So I figured the Xti might be a nice choice too :)

I would appreciate any advice you would like to give :)

extraextra

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2006
California
The XT/XTi is a nice camera.

For a lens, the kit lens is a decent lens to start out with. I'd recommend also getting the Canon 50mm f/1.8 for $80. If you want better image quality, instead of the kit lens, lenses like the Sigma 17-70, Tamron 24-75 (maybe it's 28-75) and a few others are really good, they're around $400, which is fairly cheap considering their image quality.

cgratti

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2004
Central Pennsylvania, USA

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    24 KB · Views: 67

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
wakerider017 said:
My friend has a Rebel XT and that thing was sweet... So I figured the Xti might be a nice choice too :)

I would appreciate any advice you would like to give :)

One thing about buying an SLR. It si a long term commitment. If you buy the body then you will buy lenses to fit. Then when it comes time to upgrade the body in 3 or 4 years you have this large investment in lenses so you have to buy that brand of camera body. The cycle goes on forever even after you have replaced everything three times over. For example I still have and use 30 year old Nikon SLR equipment with my new Nikon DSLR. So if you buy Canon you will still have Canon stuff 30 years from now. If seems odd to make such a long lasting decision by the odd chance of the camera someone you know has. Nothing wrong with Canon. The Nikon vs. Canon debate never ends. My take on the debate is that Nikon is a much more conservative company that cares much about ergonomics, "feel" and build quality while Canon brings technology to market faster. Seeing as a decision could stick with you for a long time it might be good to look at the last 30 years of history of each company.

One good exercise is to look at the kit you might want in 4 or 5 year from now. Maybe a body and three lenses and see which company is best when you look at the total system.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.