Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stooley

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 2, 2008
I recently purchased a 500D and am looking for recommendations on a lens that can take close up photos of items the size of a small bug or butterfly. I currently have the stock glass and a EF-S55-250mm lens.

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
What you'll want to be looking for is a macro lens and depending on how far away you want to be from your subject will determine the focal length. The smaller focal length macro lenses will be cheaper than the longer focal length ones. A good one to look for would be either the Sigma 50mm macro or the Canon 60mm macro if you are comfortable with being closer to the subject. The lenses are $299 and $399 respectively.

stooley

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 2, 2008
What you'll want to be looking for is a macro lens and depending on how far away you want to be from your subject will determine the focal length. The smaller focal length macro lenses will be cheaper than the longer focal length ones. A good one to look for would be either the Sigma 50mm macro or the Canon 60mm macro if you are comfortable with being closer to the subject. The lenses are $299 and $399 respectively.

Yea being close is not a huge issue. Thanks for the suggestions, I will check them out.

This one is the canon one I am assuming?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...c_mri?_encoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance

Ruahrc

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
Ironically there is a product called the Canon 500D close-up filter. It screws onto your current lens and decreases the minimum focusing distance so you can get closer. It's not the same as using a macro lens but also a lot cheaper. Just something to consider, as with the closeup filter and a moderate lens length like 200mm you can get pretty close to things.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
EF-S 60mm f/2.8 USM is a very nice macro lens. But you may want to experiment with 55-250mm lens to determined your preferred working focal length. Longer focal length will give you more distance from the subject. 60mm may be very usable for non-moving subjects like a watch, but for animals and insects, you may want something longer like 100mm (e.g., Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 USM macro). In addition, longer focal length will give you better looking bokeh at higher aperture (blurred background).

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
I would probably recommend something closer to 100mm http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004XOM3/

If you plan on taking pictures of wild life, the added working distance (how close you have to get to the bugs) is well worth it as most bugs are not too keen on you getting an inch away from them.

Now if you are taking product shots or want to stay closer to the 60mm mark, I would probably recommend Sigma's 70mm Macro lens. Fantastically sharp lens, and for cheaper than canon's 60mm macro.

On a side note, don't buy a Canon 50mm f/2.5 macro lens, it only focuses to 1:2 macro and is an old design easily surpassed by anything Sigma or Canon makes today.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I don't know about Canons, but for Nikon if you have an aperture ring on your lens, you can get a reversing ring and turn your lens around.

It's a cheap solution if you have existing lens and don't want to shell out for a macro lens you might only use for a number of shots.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.