Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sankew

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 18, 2020
So I am in the market for a new laptop and I would specifically prefer a Mac over Windows, now the thing is I want to buy the newest version of any Mac by march since I would be mostly going back to my University physically by March, I'd prefer an Apple Silicon Mac
now the thing is should I really wait for the 14 inch or impulse buy the 13 inch with 16 gigs of RAM, cause I don't have a proper laptop right now if I have to go on March

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Depending on what you do at uni, I would probably just advice getting a base MacBook Air now
We don't know when a new Pro might arrive, but March would probably be the earliest for an announcement. Then we'd be looking at some time before release and shipping time. - Some rumours also suggest we won't see anything until latter half of the year.

The MacBook Air performs well, is cheaper than the Pro and offers a more "lasting" design if you ask me, in that the Pro feels like a spec bump waiting on a new design, but the Air running without a fan feels like it's made to go with the M1. That's opinion though

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"now the thing is should I really wait for the 14 inch..."

These are NOT going to be released "by March"...

Reactions: ScreenSavers

ScreenSavers

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2016
Bloomingdale, GA
I’d get the M1 Air for sure. It beats out all the old 13” pros with 16GB RAM, and 16GB is an option if needed for them as well. Most use cases don’t need it anymore with the M1 though.

Sankew

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 18, 2020
I really like the Touchbar tho so I wanna get the Pro 13 with M1
I had to make a decision fast since today there was a rumour about the 14 releasing in Q3

Reactions: ScreenSavers

ThrowerGB

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2014
Be careful about the current M1 Air. It has a limited number of ports. That's fine if you always use it as a portable, But if you want to use it at home as well and connect multiple external devices (disks for Backup, large screen display, better camera, better speakers, etc) you'll need to buy port adapters. If you want to add more than one Thunderbolt 3 device, you'll probably need an adapter for those, and they ain't cheep, particularly if your devices rely on power from the port on the Air.)

ght56

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2020
If you currently do not have a proper laptop, I would purchase one immediately.

Sankew

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 18, 2020
Not just that but I'd be mostly stuck with this laptop for 3 to 4 years so in that case do you think the MacBook Pro with M1 is worth it

ght56

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2020
Yes, I think it is a good investment towards your future and one to buy now if you need it. You need a computer now; it's a good computer built on a refined and proven chassis; Macs are great for school.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.