Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

carve

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2006
Hey everyone, I think I am in need of a new point and shoot. I currently use a sony cybershot dsc-p73. It is a great little camera, it only has 4.1 megapixels though. I also want to buy a new camera because the battery life on it is horrible. It is my "go to" camera which I just grab if i'm going somewhere with friends. I am willing to spend up to $200 for a new camera, maybe $230. My needs are something that can take decent macro shots, and good night pictures. Any suggestions?

NC MacGuy

macrumors 603
Feb 9, 2005
The good side of the grass.
Hey everyone, I think I am in need of a new point and shoot. I currently use a sony cybershot dsc-p73. It is a great little camera, it only has 4.1 megapixels though. I also want to buy a new camera because the battery life on it is horrible. It is my "go to" camera which I just grab if i'm going somewhere with friends. I am willing to spend up to $200 for a new camera, maybe $230. My needs are something that can take decent macro shots, and good night pictures. Any suggestions?

The macro won't be a problem but there aren't many good P&S's that'll take a good night shot - I'm assuming non flash?

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
The P73 is at least 4 years old. I have the very similar P7 and it's on it's last legs.

As for a new P/S camera, I'd think that most Sony, Panasonic, Fuji, Canon cameras in your budget would easily surpass any photos coming from the P73. The tech has advanced so much in the last 4 years.

I'd suggest a Panasonic TZ-4 (or a TZ-5 if you can stretch the budget) because it's pretty compact and has a nice 10x zoom starting at a wide 28mm. Most P/S cameras only go down to 34 or 38mm.

The Canon digital Elph series are pretty nice too, although it's tough to figure out which one is the latest/greatest as Canon's numbering system is so messy.

If you want more manual controls (which could help with night shots), you might need to go with a slightly bulkier camera. Canon's A-series are pretty decent and they tend to cost less than the Elph's as well.

Most new P/S have decent night shot modes, but it depends on what you're shooting. If you're shooting night "scenes", you'll need a tri-pod any way since the shutter is open longer. If you're looking to shoot people at night, you might need something with a good night portrait mode to help control the flash better. Stick with the bigger names and you can't go wrong.

Also, check out dpreview.com and dcresource.com .... I find these two sites to be the best for ametuers like me.

ft

termina3

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2007
TX
If battery is the biggest issue why don't you just replace the battery? You won't get a great camera at that price point (although there are many available)

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2002
downtown
I have owned several Canon p&s cameras and each one was better than the last (with the exception of the G2 being the first and best)... anyways, my new 870 IS is a pretty amazing piece of technology. The image quality is amazing, the ISO performance is best I have ever had in a camera this small, the Image Stabilization makes low light shooting without a flash a LOT easier and the screen on the back is HUGE.

This camera sells for $249 new on amazon.. but I'm sure you could find it cheaper somewhere. I would very highly recommend it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.