Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kyzen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 8, 2010
Colorado
I'm going to be doing a bunch of travelling soon, in situations that will be quite difficult to check a bag. I'm trying to find a single bag (though I suppose a camera bag compact enough to fit into a larger bag would work as well) to take with me, as it seems every time I try to take a regular carry on, and a "personal item" (a small messenger bag) I get told I can only take one or the other.

Basically, what I'm looking for:

• Preferably a backpack, though a messenger bag type thing would be fine
  • Bag big enough to count as a carry-on on an airplane
  • Room for a body w/ attached lens, another mid sized lens, and a flash
  • Room for clothes - 2 pairs of pants, 3-4 shirts, some socks and underwear
  • Room for a 13" Macbook

I'm ok with a bulky bag as long as it'll make it through an airport scanner and into an overhead bin :)

Anybody have any suggestions?

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
You are going to have trade offs, I am sure you know this already though.

You are either going to have a great bag that sucks at carrying a camera, or a great camera bag that sucks at carrying clothes and other things.

You may be able to get away with a larger backpack from the camera bag makers or a ProTrekker from LowePro, or any other camera company.

Booq is another bag company that makes rather large hybrid bags as well, but none that may be big enough for you to carry clothes, camera gear, and a laptop. Check with Thom Hogan also as he does a lot of traveling and cares enough to suggest many of the things he does/brings with him and methods for packing/etc.

jampat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2008
You are going to have trade offs, I am sure you know this already though.

You are either going to have a great bag that sucks at carrying a camera, or a great camera bag that sucks at carrying clothes and other things.

You may be able to get away with a larger backpack from the camera bag makers or a ProTrekker from LowePro, or any other camera company.

Booq is another bag company that makes rather large hybrid bags as well, but none that may be big enough for you to carry clothes, camera gear, and a laptop. Check with Thom Hogan also as he does a lot of traveling and cares enough to suggest many of the things he does/brings with him and methods for packing/etc.

Be careful with the ProTrekker, the largest size will not pass as carry-on.

In your situation I would get something like a lowepro nova to hold the camera gear and drop it into a normal carryon suitcase with your clothes and computer. It doesn't scream "steal me, I'm a camera" and it allows you to leave your suitcase at the hotel and carry the smaller camera bag. If space is really tight, I have just wrapped the camera in clothes and put it in the carryon bag, but you won't have a convenient way to carry the camera at the other end that way.

venusian

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2008
I'm kinda planning to do the same for my 3 wk trip to europe.

How about something like this http://www.teds.com.au/kata-inca-bags/inca-adc-snoot-bag/i3952998_2456191/w1/
A bag that just fits your camera with a lens attached, with your other lens in a lens case (lowepro makes a lot of different sizes) and hopefully your flash like mine came with a case.

That way you can buy what ever bag you like that's carry on legal, and stick your camera gear in the top. When you arrive and are heading out for the day you can put your stuff in any old regular bag (which doesn't scream mug me! like a camera bag does). :D

preacher

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2009
Which bag?

As a one who used to sell pro equipment and is a pro shooter, based on what your criteria, you should check out the Lowepro Vertex line. I personally have the the largest one, the Vertex 300. It's big, the biggest you can take on a plane with tons of room.

In fact, I'm not using mine anymore and its in mint condition, so let me know if you're interested.

firestarter

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2002
Green and pleasant land
One thing I'll tell you is that you definitely DON'T want just one bag.

Carrying a large rucksack around all day will get old extremely quickly. If you're travelling anywhere with small streets and shops (Europe, Asia) you'll be paranoid about getting in people's way and knocking stuff over. In museums you're likely to be asked to check a large bag - wheras a much smaller camera bag will be OK.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.