Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kp98077

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 26, 2010
Does anyone have a back up to their 14PM? I find I don't always want to carry it around for hiking, beach etc. or work (hospital) thinking about getting either a 13 mini or a 2022 SE any advice? I can't really do a 14 pro all the time I find it smallish and hard to type on, prefer big screen 80% of the time!

xxFoxtail

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2015
NY
The problem (if you’re in the US) is transferring the SIM card from one phone to another. Unless you plan on having a separate plan for it. I find my standard 14 Pro a tad too large for me (coming from a 12 mini), but decided to supplement it with a cellular connected Apple Watch Ultra.

I have those days where I just don’t feel like bringing my iPhone with me anywhere. The AWU keeps me connected and the battery has no problems lasting me the day.

If you’re set on a backup phone, I’d probably go as cheap as possible. I’d personally go with the 13 mini, but you can find the SE or even a 12 mini pretty cheap.

Reactions: JM and DeepIn2U

kp98077

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 26, 2010
The problem (if you’re in the US) is transferring the SIM card from one phone to another. Unless you plan on having a separate plan for it. I find my standard 14 Pro a tad too large for me (coming from a 12 mini), but decided to supplement it with a cellular connected Apple Watch Ultra.

I have those days where I just don’t feel like bringing my iPhone with me anywhere. The AWU keeps me connected and the battery has no problems lasting me the day.

If you’re set on a backup phone, I’d probably go as cheap as possible. I’d personally go with the 13 mini, but you can find the SE or even a 12 mini pretty cheap.
thanks, but the 13 mini has e sim right? so you can just transfer e sim back and forth? Just like when you buy a new phone?

Reactions: DeepIn2U

kp98077

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 26, 2010

is there a way to do a google search on the ultra?

xxFoxtail

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2015
NY
Reactions: kp98077

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Does anyone have a back up to their 14PM? I find I don't always want to carry it around for hiking, beach etc. or work (hospital) thinking about getting either a 13 mini or a 2022 SE any advice? I can't really do a 14 pro all the time I find it smallish and hard to type on, prefer big screen 80% of the time!
Not to a 14PM. My primary is an 11PM.

I do have a secondary phone on a secondary line though. iPhone 6s+. Technically it should be my Pixel 3a XL as that was the phone I got after the 6s+ but before my 11PM. But I prefer iOS.

Sorry though, not a smaller backup. Almost the same size.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
I’ve been trying a 14 pro max for the last week. It’s annoyingly big. Played golf with it and I had to keep transitioning if from don’t packet to back packet depending if I was sitting or standing. Definitely will move back to my 14 pro after this experiment in a few days.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
13 Mini or 12 Mini.

Same iOS functionality - except Crash Protection (?) & Dynamic Island.

Full day battery life on the 13 mini just about on the 12 mini. Kill off unimportant background refreshes, avoid MagSafe charging at ALL costs as it heavily degraded battery health (more so on the 12 mini) in my personal experiences with both - see my older posts if you’re curious. And finally lower screen brightness (outside of direct sunlight outdoor use) to 40% or lower unless needed. Close apps you’re not gonna use in 15mins.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Critically - in the USA the iPhone 14 Pro series having no nano-SIM was THE worst mistake Apple has ever done!!

This is more of a restriction that anything else almost binding you to higher carrier fees when travelling!

kp98077

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 26, 2010
Critically - in the USA the iPhone 14 Pro series having no nano-SIM was THE worst mistake Apple has ever done!!

This is more of a restriction that anything else almost binding you to higher carrier fees when travelling!
Yeah no kidding!! Buz kill

Reactions: DeepIn2U

Apple_Tiger

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2023
How do you do it. Switch esims on Verizon.
Settings > Cellular > Add esim (on the device that you want to connect service to). Simply put your other phone that is connected and follow instructions. I never had issues, and never needed to call Verizon or go through my account to do the switch. Done it plenty of times from my 14 pro max to 13 pro max back and forth.

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
Settings > Cellular > Add esim (on the device that you want to connect service to). Simply put your other phone that is connected and follow instructions. I never had issues, and never needed to call Verizon or go through my account to do the switch. Done it plenty of times from my 14 pro max to 13 pro max back and forth.
i’ve never been able to transfer esim on verizon, it’s always a 45 minute call

Yea the call such a pain and totally ridiculous !!
@Apple_Tiger thank you, thank you, thank you. I’ll file that tip away for later when needed 🙌

aue123

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2019
Mid west USA
huh?? simply put your other phone that is connected and follow instructions? put it where? like a usb-c to lightning cable connected? you’ve explained absolutely nothing, it almost feels like verizon tech support. next you’ll tell me to restart my phone 4 times.

Apple_Tiger

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2023
huh?? simply put your other phone that is connected and follow instructions? put it where? like a usb-c to lightning cable connected? you’ve explained absolutely nothing, it almost feels like verizon tech support. next you’ll tell me to restart my phone 4 times.
I think this would be more helpful if you don't understand how to do it. The video is posted 1 year ago but still works similarly to the 14 line up as well.

I can't speak for pre-paid as I know that this works on my post paid verizon 100% time without issues.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.