Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZBoT

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 4, 2007
Hi all. I am taking a photography class and this week we have to take some portraits to turn in for next week. I would like to do something abstract and more creative than just your standard portrait. I am more of a landscape/nature photographer so I am struggling to come up with ideas for this. We can use people, pets or anything really. The instructor says the rules are meant to be broken.

I would love to see some different portraits you all have taken. Or maybe point me in the right direction to find what I am looking for. I tried searching around but wasn't finding exactly what I was looking for. Thanks so much!!!!

Tosser

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2008
Erm... doesn't the word 'creative' imply a degree of imagination and initiative, on the part of the photographer?

And isn't this process - oh, let's call it 'thinking' - exactly what your tutor is asking of you??

Just my two-pennorth... feel free to disregard... ;)

Good point. I deleted my post.

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
I would like to do something abstract and more creative than just your standard portrait.

Erm... doesn't the word 'creative' imply a degree of imagination and initiative, on the part of the photographer?

And isn't this process - oh, let's call it 'thinking' - exactly what your tutor is asking of you??

Just my two-pennorth... feel free to disregard... ;)

ZBoT

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 4, 2007
I do see your point but I am not merely looking to copy. As I said in my post I am struggling to come up with creative ideas and I am looking for inspiration and direction.

svndmvn

Nov 6, 2007
Italy
I doubt I'm the only one that thinks portraits have a lot to do with the subject so start from there and see where it takes you, there could be some tricks in recent threads as to how better light the subject, but no tricks to how a good portrait is created
just read your second post, the subject should be the inspiration like what Muses were to poets and artists, bad thought?
Post some of your first attempts and you might get better help

anubis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2003
Why don't you just look through this month's and all of the prior months' "Photo of the Day" threads here and see if there's anything you like?

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Just be creative! It's actually quite easy, you just think and do something that may or may not be appealing.

I honestly think that creativity is the one thing missing from many of today's crafts and services. Everyone wants there stuff NOW and so fast that they could care less if there is any creativity involved.

Being genuinely unique and creative will get your further than asking someone else to do it for you.

p.s. if you are just looking for some things to get you started, check out other REAL professional photographer's sites. Some of my favorites are: Nick Vedros, Kevin Foley, and Dave Black. You don't have to duplicate, but you can glean ideas from them and see how they use elements of photography to make a great image.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.