Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Crawn2003

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 8, 2005
Santa Rosa, California
Hello all,

Kind of a strange request but I need help finding a simple point-and-shoot camera for my mother for Mother's Day.

Really simple is what I need because she doesn't need advanced features, just something to take photos of her artwork (non-professional) and of scenery around where she lives.

No preference on make/model. I'd like to keep it under $300 if possible.

Thanks for any help/advice.

~Crawn

jbernie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2005
Denver, CO
Ok, I can't find the US model name, but both my parents who are in their mid to late 60s are using a "Canon ixus i" without issue, though from checking emails and such it looks like this is a 2 year old model, and it is the Australian model name.

I would be inclined to say find a model (any brand) with as few buttons as possible required to operate. Depending on how young/old your mother is somethings to keep in mind...
- smaller buttons can be hard to use
- smaller buttons can be hard to read/see
- a good sized screen makes it easier to review the photos
- find something that you know can fit in her handbag

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Yeah, I second the bit about the screen: it should be as large as possible. Older folks really have trouble seeing those little screens, and they tend to use the camera more as a TV than younger people do. They tend not to be so good about taking the photos OFF of the camera and looking at them on a bigger screen. They like to carry the camera around and show people photos right on its screen. I see this all the time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.