Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amajorguy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 16, 2013
Please forgive me if I am asking for something that's probably already been covered to the nth degree. I'm new here and joined to primarily seek advice. ( I will contribute later after I've acted on whatever decision I make.) Usually, I would take the time to research more thoroughly in this regard but time is currently not a luxury for me right now.
So here goes - briefly, I am an audio engineer. A friend, who is wealthy enough to buy the new Mac Pro, gave me two - 2009, 4,1 mac pros. One is a dual processor. I've done a lot of research and I am intrigued by the upgradeability but am aware that we are nearing the end-of-the-line regarding support and what can be done going forward.
I am also aware that many of you have extensive insight and so I humbly seek advice.
I've been running Pro Tools on a 2011 mac mini (server version) with a good deal of success (though occasionally it crashes). But that computer has run its course and is destined to become the wife's desktop web browser and word proccesor.
I'm interested in maxing out the dual-processor (2-delidded x5680s, a Radeon RX580, 96 GB RAM, 500 gb SSD, Titan Ridge Thunderbolt, and USB 3.0 for use in audio production i.e. -Avid Pro Tools, Universal Audio Apollo and LUNA, along with some video production and photo editing using Final Cut Pro, PhotoShop and LightRoom. All the above will cost nearly a grand.
The other mac pro, the single-processor unit, would make a nice PLEX and Devonthink home server. Upgrading it to just that role would be less of an expense - probably around $600
OR
I might get a few hundred if I can sell them both "as-is" on ebay, avoid whatever headaches might come with setting them up and getting everything to work properly, and put that money towards buying a 16gb Mac Mini M1 now and maybe another when the next crop comes out. Even though the new apple silicon has got some reported hiccups, I've been reading that they are actually rather good.
Thoughts?
Thanks in advance.

lostom

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2010
They're better than rather good, go for it, you won't regret (probably)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.