Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bungiefan89

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 5, 2011
A cracked-but-still-working 2020 iPad (Model A2428) recently came into my possession via my workplace's IT department. The device wasn't passcode locked (I received explicit permission that I could keep it) and the device works great except for a severely cracked digitizer and some traces of the previous user (another employee in a different department) still on the device.

I want to fix it up properly, but I have a few things I'm not sure about that I wondered if someone could give me feedback on:
  1. I plan to replace the digitizer with a part and guide from iFixit. Is it a problem that the part and guide are for the iPad 7 or are the iPad 7 and iPad 8 similar enough that parts should be interchangeable? (I could not find a reputable seller of an iPad 8 digitizer or repair guide online but if someone knows of one, I'm all ears!)
  2. If I navigate to Settings>Contacts>Accounts>Gmail, I can see the lone email of what I believe to be the previous user and when I got the iPad the Safari app already had several tabs open from the previous usage. What are the proper steps I need to take to scrub the previous user's information from the device without getting stuck on an Activation Lock screen of some sort? The device doesn't ask for a password when waking from sleep, but I don't know if iPads have "administrator" passwords I have to be aware of.
  3. This device still has a cellular connection. The coworker who let me have this device assured me that that subscription and connection would eventually be lost, but how does that work and will removing it drop me into some sort of Activation Lock loop?
Any feedback is appreciated and I apologize for my lack of familiarity with how iPads are set up, I've been out of the Apple ecosystem for many years now and only wish to gift this device to someone if it can be properly restored!

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
I plan to replace the digitizer with a part and guide from iFixit. Is it a problem that the part and guide are for the iPad 7 or are the iPad 7 and iPad 8 similar enough that parts should be interchangeable? (I could not find a reputable seller of an iPad 8 digitizer or repair guide online but if someone knows of one, I'm all ears!)
The parts are interchangeable, yes.

Reactions: bungiefan89
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.