Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tedelaney

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 9, 2009
I am going to get the canon t1i and am mostly interested in taking macro shots of jewelry that I sell. I will also use it for everyday photos (family, landscapes, etc...) and I would like to start taking bird pictures so I need a decent zoom lens also. All-in-all I would like advice on lenses in each category (macro, reg. and zoom) for less than $500 each. Thank you for your help!

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
I am going to get the canon t1i and am mostly interested in taking macro shots of jewelry that I sell. I will also use it for everyday photos (family, landscapes, etc...) and I would like to start taking bird pictures so I need a decent zoom lens also. All-in-all I would like advice on lenses in each category (macro, reg. and zoom) for less than $500 each. Thank you for your help!
Wow, before we get into the lenses, will this be your first time using dSLR or what?

Anyway a Sigma 70-300 should fit your budget and its range should be just okay to capture bird photos also since it is also a macro lens, it should also be okay for well...macro shots. The lens that came with your rebel T1i should be good enough for everyday photos, just avoid using it at 55mm most of the time cause according to DPReview, the lens become real soft at 55mm.

TheReef

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
NSW, Australia.
Check out the Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 for a general all purpose lens, it's amazingly sharp and awesome value. It has some macro ability, depends on how close you want.

Your call if you want to buy the kit lens, it depends on your usage, I find it really useful for the extra fov at 18mm, f8 for landscapes.

The Sigma isn't bad either (does get quite soft at 300mm though), eBay can yeild some great prices.

MDiddy

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2002
Chicago

I picked up a T1i a couple weeks ago. Its my first SLR so I've been looking for lens options as well. I have a few buddies that a heavy into photography and they've made a couple of recomendations for standard & zooms. I don't reallly have an interest in macro just yet.

The 50mm f1.8 (goes for around $80-100) was suggested for portrait shots. Haven't picked this one up yet, but with the large 1.8 aperture, it apparently does a great job with candid shots and can produce some great bokeh effects.

For zoom, the Canon 55-250 4-5.6 IS lens ($260-$300) was suggested. I actually purchased this lens and I've been impressed so far.

Hope that helps!

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
Ah okay, just wanna know cuz I find it odd for a person who used dSLR before to ask what lenses. Sorry if you felt anything, I mean nothing actually :)

flinch13

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2004
It really depends on your personal tastes and budget.

IMHO, I believe you will be extremely happy with a 50mm lens of some sort. The Canon 50mm 1.8 is pretty good and produces great images. It's also cheap, both in price and build quality. The 1.4 version is of higher build quality, but it's 3x the price of the 1.8. You should buy one of these lenses. The wide aperture is a killer app, giving you a lot of versatility in low light.

For macro, get automatic extension tubes. Kenko brand ones are pretty good and are readily available for around $100. Don't bother with Canon ones, it's not worth the money considering they're just empty tubes. You can use this with the 50mm and get some serious close up images.

As for an all around general lens, I'd personally hang onto the kit lens that comes with the camera for a while. Once you get used to that and understand its weaknesses, you will know what you want in the next lens you buy.

These three items can go a very very long way.

Congrats on the new camera!

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
For birds shots you may want to take time to save enough cash to buy a good long lens with L glass, something around 400mm.

For macro, I would recommend the EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro. For general use outdoors, save your money and buy the EF 70-200mm f/4L. Not the best lens for low light (f/4), but an outstanding lens for shooting outdoors. It does very well for birds with a 1.4x teleconverter if there is enough light, and it costs half the price of the f/2.8 one.

I agree with others about the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8. It's a sharp and fast little lens.

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
For macro, I would recommend the EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro. For general use outdoors, save your money and buy the EF 70-200mm f/4L. Not the best lens for low light (f/4), but an outstanding lens for shooting outdoors. It does very well for birds with a 1.4x teleconverter if there is enough light, and it costs half the price of the f/2.8 one.
As I agree with your lens suggestion, in fact those are what I am aiming (the IS version is) for except for the 100 f/2.8 which I already own except your forgot that the price of those lenses, the 100 is right now $599 right now, might be able to get a lil bit cheaper though, the 70-200 non IS is also at $599 from Amazon of course.

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
I would say pick up the the Canon 60mm macro for $340, Tamron 28-75mm for $399, and then put as much money as you can into the telephoto if you want a decent one, a Sigma 150-500mm OS would be a good choice with a large zoom range for $800.

You may want to also consider the Tamron 17-50mm because it is a lot wider than the 28-75mm, but you don't get as much telephoto range. You'll have to decide whether it is more important to have a longer lens or a wider lens.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
As I agree with your lens suggestion, in fact those are what I am aiming (the IS version is) for except for the 100 f/2.8 which I already own except your forgot that the price of those lenses, the 100 is right now $599 right now, might be able to get a lil bit cheaper though, the 70-200 non IS is also at $599 from Amazon of course.

The 70-200 f/4L is supposed to be a real fast and sharp lens. I would buy one, but I already have primes that cover that range. For example, I have these already:

EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro
EF 200mm f/2.8L USM (another fast and sharp L lens under $1K)
EF 400mm f/5.6L USM (a little over $1K, but cheaper than the one with IS)

I also have a Tokina 12-24mm f/4 for landscapes, and the Tamron mentioned above, plus a Kenko 1.4x Pro teleconverter to fill the gaps between the three primes above. I can do without IS and save a fortune (I shoot during the day).

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
For birds shots you may want to take time to save enough cash to buy a good long lens with L glass, something around 400mm.

I agree with others about the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8. It's a sharp and fast little lens.

In my humble opinion 200mm is not close to being long enough to shoot birds, even with a 1.4x teleconverter. You'll want to be in the 400mm+ range.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
In my humble opinion 200mm is not close to being long enough to shoot birds, even with a 1.4x teleconverter. You'll want to be in the 400mm+ range.
That's true in most cases, and the reason why I mentioned that one around 400mm would be best. However, there are times when one can get close enough to birds with a 200mm lens. For example, over in Fairbanks, Alaska, there is a public area called Creamer's Field. At this time of the year Sand-hill cranes, geese, ducks, etc., let you to approach to perhaps 45 feet if you take your time and walk slowly. This area is fenced, and there is a parking lot in front of the fence. The birds walk to perhaps 20 feet and closer to the fence where photographers congregate.

A 400mm lens allows you to pick subjects much farther out, but it also costs twice or more than a 70-200L. The OP mentioned a budget of perhaps $500.00 for a lens. I would just take my time to save enough cash to buy L glass of the size I may need, instead of buying long and cheaper glass.

tedelaney

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 9, 2009
Ah okay, just wanna know cuz I find it odd for a person who used dSLR before to ask what lenses. Sorry if you felt anything, I mean nothing actually :)

no worries, i wasn't offended or anything, i don't convey sarcasm very well in text it would seem... we have had a eos 10d since it came out and have been really happy with it, but never got any lenses for it. now that budget finally allows we are upgrading so in short, not new do slr, but totally new to lenses. thanks for your helpful advice, it helps a ton!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.