Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

qwerty3000

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2022
I am currently using a 2010 MacBook Pro 13" as a Media and File server. I am also running a few other custom Web APIs for my personal projects. It is also a CCTV Camera Server for the recording a bunch of cameras.

I would like some advice on weather to buy a M1 Mac mini or the M1 Max Mac Studio or the 14" MacBook Pro. I am looking for a Mac that could last a good 10 years like my current setup and yes it will up and running 24/7*(with like a monthly reboot-cycle). Storage isn't an issue, I am good with 512GB or 1TB. 8GB Ram should be sufficient but might go 16GB just to have the headroom for the future updates.

My reasons for leaning towards a MacBook Pro is we do have some occasional power outages so I don't have restart the machine, I dont currently have anything setup to auto boot on power supply. But I am willing to change that or get an UPS instead. I did check the UPS threads on here so I have an idea what to go for and most importantly monitors/displays are not required for Mac mini or the Studio.

Issues on my current setup :
  1. Obviously obsolete product so no more OS updates (for quiet some time now)
  2. I am using a custom build FFMpeg which I am facing audio issues with on my media and camera server. (the official build doesn't work on my Mac)
  3. It is terminally slow when I have to deploy updated stuff on there with my APIs.
I am looking to buy by the end of this year.

So finally which Mac should I buy? and if its a Mac mini or Studio, do you have any UPS suggestion?

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
I would like some advice on weather to buy a M1 Mac mini or the M1 Max Mac Studio or the 14" MacBook Pro.
I'd say that even the M1 Mini will be a massive upgrade from a 2010 MacBook Pro (...had one of those and it was not fast - long story about Apple sticking with an outdated Intel Core Duo CPU in order to keep using the NVIDIA GPU). Anything more is likely overkill.

...as for using a laptop because power cuts - kinda pointless if your network router, CCTV cameras etc. all go out when the power dies, whereas a suitable UPS could keep the key equipment going.

qwerty3000

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2022
I'd say that even the M1 Mini will be a massive upgrade from a 2010 MacBook Pro (...had one of those and it was not fast - long story about Apple sticking with an outdated Intel Core Duo CPU in order to keep using the NVIDIA GPU). Anything more is likely overkill.

...as for using a laptop because power cuts - kinda pointless if your network router, CCTV cameras etc. all go out when the power dies, whereas a suitable UPS could keep the key equipment going.
Firstly thank you so much for the response. And yes I do have separate UPS for all my networking. The CCTV cameras are fine too I have a diesel generator in my appartment complex that kicks in with a minimal delay and should reboot and be fine.

So would you reckon the M1 Mac mini with a. 512 GB upgrade and an UPS should suffice?

Brian33

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
USA (Virginia)
So would you reckon the M1 Mac mini with a. 512 GB upgrade and an UPS should suffice?
That's what I would go with, if I understand your needs correctly.

To me, it just seems wasteful to pay for a laptop's screen/keyboard/expensive-to-replace-battery when you don't need them. And to me, the Mac Studio seems like extreme overkill for your described needs. I'll admit to enjoying more "power" than I really need, but if I had to replace my little "household server" (a headless 2012 Mac Mini on a UPS, doing quite well still), I'd definitely get another Mini.

qwerty3000

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2022
That's what I would go with, if I understand your needs correctly.

To me, it just seems wasteful to pay for a laptop's screen/keyboard/expensive-to-replace-battery when you don't need them. And to me, the Mac Studio seems like extreme overkill for your described needs. I'll admit to enjoying more "power" than I really need, but if I had to replace my little "household server" (a headless 2012 Mac Mini on a UPS, doing quite well still), I'd definitely get another Mini.

Sure Thank you! I will go with Mac mini. I am planning to upgrade by the end of this year. And if they do upgrade it to M2 with no or little price hike it would be my go-to nevertheless.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.