Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fekimoki

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 2, 2006
Jakarta, Indonesia
Hi, I have A1419 (Late 2015 iMac 27" 5K) and just like everyone, mine has pink / ghosting / image retention problem. Then recently, the screen has 2 big vertical black bar that isn't easy to just ignore.
I still love the powerful machine that I heavily upgraded (SSD and RAM), I'm on dilemma!
Will the "new" LM270QQ1 have the same fate of ghosting problem? Is it worth the investment or shall I just sell this machine as is?
Thank you.

antibolo

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2017
Right now is a good time to track down a cheap LG Ultrafine 5K while they have been recently discontinued. I just got one recently so that I can finally retire my 2014 iMac 5K and use my M1 MBA as my main computer.

Last edited:

zarmanto

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2014
Around the corner from the 7/11
Six/seven years old? I think that's a pretty respectable run. Initially I was going to just say go for it based on that alone -- because what are the odds that you're still using it after another six/seven years? -- but then I did a couple of quick google searches.

It looks like a replacement screen could run you around $450... but so could an entire 2015 27" iMac. Of course, an entire iMac could easily arrive with exactly the same problem -- or it could be that the screen is the single most expensive component.

Alternatively, it looks like you could get a used 2017 iMac for less than $700. After selling your existing iMac to someone else who wants to try the screen replacement, you might possibly be able to come out even, vs replacing the screen yourself, and get an upgrade in the process. Worth looking into, at least.

Last edited:
Reactions: pshufd

pshufd

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Six/seven years old? I think that's a pretty respectable run. Initially I was going to just say go for it based on that alone -- because what are the odds that you're still using it after another six/seven years? -- but then I did a couple of quick google searches.

It looks like a replacement screen could run you around $450... but so could an entire 2015 27" iMac. Of course, an entire iMac could easily arrive with exactly the same problem -- or it could be that the screen is the single most expensive component.

Alternatively, it looks like you could get a used 2017 iMac for less than $700. After selling your existing iMac to someone else who wants to try the screen replacement, you might possibly be able to come out even, vs replacing the screen yourself, and get an upgrade in the process. Worth looking into, at least.

That's a really nice deal from a shop.

There's a an i5 with 32 GB of RAM at https://maine.craigslist.org/sys/d/south-portland-27-imac-5k-retina-late/7495801681.html

I would take a look if it were closer. It's about 70 miles from me which is a bit far.

Backslashnl1

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2021
[..]
I agree, I think you should look around for a 2017 model in a good condition and a fair price, which can be about the same price as a new display alone. Even with a 'new' display you can get the same pink / ghosting / image retention issues, since the panel is the same on all 5K models.

You can transplant the SSD to the new machine. RAM is not so expensive to upgrade. I would not go for an i5 model.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.