Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ccparker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2016
I have a large library of self-ripped music from way before ipods & IOS. The library is organized as a folder tree with the tracks from each album in the lowest level folder. Many of those MP3s have inadequate (for iTunes) ID3 tags. Although I have attempted to re-tag some of the library, this is far too frustrating and tedious - I wont do any more of that.

So what I want is, 1. an IOS music player app that is happy to navigate and play music organized in folders/MP3_files. 2. A non-itunes oriented app or application that can copy a folder tree from a computer drive or SD card to the IOS device, keeping the same folder/file organization.

SarZ

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2008
I use goodreader app to organise and play many of my mp3s
You can have as many folders as you want and it also has a Mac/PC application to upload files directly without using iTunes

ccparker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2016
I use goodreader app to organise and play many of my mp3s
You can have as many folders as you want and it also has a Mac/PC application to upload files directly without using iTunes

Thanks. Good tip. In the meantime, found another similar solution called iFiles 1.17.8 by Imagam - $4. It's a file manager also and has built-in viewers for some file types, like music. The folder tree navigation and file selection is easy and the music plays fine. It does not recognize m3u playlist files but that is not a significant issue for me. I consider my 3 year desire for a folder based music player finally done. My mistake was expecting someone to create a music specific app.

Although I am content (not elated) with my ios-devices, the apple imposed limitations on app development has been frustrating. e.g., folder based file management has been around for 2000 years. Appearing (its still there) to discard it, "deprecating", and punishing folks that have a need/like for it, does not make friends. I hope to not have to jailbreak my device (partly an exercise in patience).

I will keep goodreader in mind. It appears that it is aimed mostly at folks with serious PDF needs.

SarZ

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2008
ifiles is very good.
What I like about goodreader is that you can play all tracks or choose the tracks you want to play in a folder

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.