Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bimmeracer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 13, 2008
Hi,

I have a 2011 Macbook Pro 15" with Data Doubler in which I have been dealing with a battery draining issue for a while now. On battery power while using general apps and a dim display, I will usually get around 1 hour of battery life. I have replaced my battery with a new one, and I am still having the same issue.
Can anyone give me any advice or suggestions as to what might be causing this issue?
My best guess, would be the fact that my macbook has 2 hard drives, but I do not believe that the effect should be this dramatic.

My MacBook has the following specs:
MacBookPro8,2
OSX: 10.11.6
Intel Core i7 2.2 GHz
Memory: 16 GB
HD: 256GB SSD for startup and the original 750GB for Storage.

bimmeracer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 13, 2008
Charge Information:

Charge Remaining (mAh): 7138

Fully Charged: No

Charging: Yes

Full Charge Capacity (mAh): 7321

Health Information:

Cycle Count: 78

Condition: Normal

Battery Installed: Yes

Amperage (mA): 30

Voltage (mV): 12529

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
Looks good. What does your Activity Monitor show under the CPU and Energy tabs while you're running off the battery? Which programs are using a lot of CPU and power? (It's in the Utilities folder under Applications.)

bimmeracer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 13, 2008
Thanks for the help.
The only application that usually appears there is Chrome. Could Chrome or a Chrome plugin cause the battery drain issue?

I am not sure what these numbers mean, but you might.
Energy Impact: 30
Avg. Energy Impact: 70

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
Chrome does have a reputation as an energy hog. 30 and 70 are very high numbers for energy impact. I have 17 tabs open in Safari and show an average energy impact number of 13. Unless you really need Chrome, try Safari and see if that helps. Safari is optimized for Macs.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.