Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacPlussed

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2019
Hey, all... I've run into a problem burning DVDs using Any Video Converter. I have an old MacBook Pro mid-2012 with a built-in DVD drive that I've always used for burning MP4s to DVD using AVC. I recently upgraded the MacBook's OS to Mojave and now the DVDs I burn won't play in any standalone home theatre DVD players. The DVDs all work fine in other Macs, but I've tried FIVE different standalone DVD players and most of the time the DVDs won't even load the menu. Occasionally, the menu will appear but accessing the individual titles results in the first second or two of the title playing, then it just loops. I originally thought it was some conflict with AVC so I upgraded that to the latest version, but no change. I've tried altering the DVD burn speed, but no different result. Is there something in the OS that has altered the way my DVD drive burns data? Really hoping someone has some insights, as I'm fresh out. Thanks in advance.

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
Have you tried to remove and re-install the Any Video Converter App?

Are you using the same brand/type disks?

You could try picking up one of those $20-$30 USB DVD player/burners and see if that helps.

MacPlussed

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2019
Have you tried to remove and re-install the Any Video Converter App?

Are you using the same brand/type disks?

You could try picking up one of those $20-$30 USB DVD player/burners and see if that helps.

Downloaded a fresh/current version of AVC, didn't help. Using the exact same type of DVD-Rs I always used, tried some DVD+Rs, no change. As I said, the burned DVDs work fine on other Macs, just not on the standalone DVD players.

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
My experience has been that Mac and PC DVD drives are more robust than many/most stand alone players. They seem to be able to read marginal DVD media better. Its possible that the laser in you writer is tired.

You could try to reconstruct your old OS on an external boot drive and try again

If your app will create a TS folder or a disk image, perhaps burn that to a DVD from the finder.

MacPlussed

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2019
My experience has been that Mac and PC DVD drives are more robust than many/most stand alone players. They seem to be able to read marginal DVD media better. Its possible that the laser in you writer is tired.

You could try to reconstruct your old OS on an external boot drive and try again

If your app will create a TS folder or a disk image, perhaps burn that to a DVD from the finder.

EUREKA! First tried the TS folder angle, which worked, but the disks were quite wonky (files bleeding into another, starting late or cutting off early, etc.) but the .iso method worked like a charm. Anyway, thanks for the tip, as I had never explored that option prior to this and likely wouldn't have stumbled across it on my own. My 101-year-old father -- for whom these DVDs are meant, and who still views computers with some suspicion -- will benefit immensely. Cheers...

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
Glad to be of some help. My parents know how to work a DVD player so I'm also burning a few now and then. Its also better for them to view on a 40-50 inch TV screen. I save/archive the images on a hard drive, saves time when someone wants another copy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.