Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
I'm getting a bit frustrated in searching for reviews and information on colorimeters, so perhaps someone here can recommend one for me.

I need one that can calibrate dual monitors (one being my MBP's matte display, and the other an external LCD, which will change depending on where I'm located). I'd like it to be able to measure ambient light and luminance (I don't like to work with my monitor being blindingly bright, so I want to be able to calibrate for lower brightness).

I do not have a color printer at any location, so I will always be sending files out for printing. Therefore, I don't think I need software that will calibrate a printer--ditto for a scanner, since I don't use my scanner for color-critical stuff.

So here's a recap:

Would like:
• To calibrate dual LCD monitors to match each other
• To have ambient light accounted for
• To have luminance accounted for

Don't need:
• To calibrate a printer or scanner

Many thanks!

Cliff3

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
SF Bay Area
I use an Xrite i1 colorimeter. It will calibrate any number of monitors and will measure ambient light. The user is prompted to adjust brightness during the calibration process based on a recommended range and suggested optimum.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Thanks. I had been looking on the X-Rite site earlier and was confused by what that model offered over the LT version which is about $50 cheaper on Amazon. The specifications listings of the two products on their website don't correspond with each other, making comparison very difficult. Any ideas?

Cliff3

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
SF Bay Area
Thanks. I had been looking on the X-Rite site earlier and was confused by what that model offered over the LT version which is about $50 cheaper on Amazon. The specifications listings of the two products on their website don't correspond with each other, making comparison very difficult. Any ideas?

It appears the difference is in software. This document compares their calibration offerings: http://www.xrite.com/documents/literature/en/985629_i1_Monitor_Solutions_en.pdf

Cliff3

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
SF Bay Area
Very helpful document! Thank you so much!

You're welcome. Data Color and their Colorvision product line is the other one to consider, but I don't have any personal experience with them. Pantone has some colorimeters, but they resell Xrite's tools for their higher grade product lines, which tells me about all I need to know about Pantone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.