Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Glmnet1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2017
I can't vouch for ebay sellers for Apple products, I never tried it. One thing to verify is that you're comparing apples to apples when looking at ebay offers, sometimes it seems like a good deal but it's actually for an older device.

The educational discount is about 10%. You can also look at the refurbished Apple store, they usually give about 15% discount and they're as good as new.

Last edited:

smallcoffee

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2014
North America
Are the people who sell refurbished MacBook pros on eBay reputable? They advertise a 3 year warranty, and upgrades. Here is one listing, for instance:
https://m.ebay.com/itm/MacBook-Pro-...Y-Core-i7-2-0-16GB-1TB-OSX-2017-/172978991490
I can’t really afford a brand new one. I’m a teacher, so I think I could also get a discount from Apple, if I go that route.
Thank you!

Hi Kate.

The first thing I'd like to ask is... what do you plan on doing with your computing device?
The second thing I ask is... what is your approximate budget?

I think if you are able to concisely answer those two questions the forum could help you out a lot. With a budget, it's important to narrow down the most important things you need so you can look at a product lineup and then see which device fits your needs best. You might need a 15" MacBook Pro, you might need an iPad Pro. Hopefully we can help.

SurfaceBookUser

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2016
Personally I wouldn't place any value in a warranty offered on eBay.

Apple is holding an event on the 27th with an education theme. There's rumors that an affordable (< $1000) replacement for the MacBook Air may be announced. If you're like a lot of other people, and the current MacBook Air would meet your performance needs but the display is a deal breaker, you might want to at least see what they announce.

Reactions: Apple_Robert

MichaelDT

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2012
Are the people who sell refurbished MacBook pros on eBay reputable? They advertise a 3 year warranty, and upgrades. Here is one listing, for instance:
https://m.ebay.com/itm/MacBook-Pro-...Y-Core-i7-2-0-16GB-1TB-OSX-2017-/172978991490
I can’t really afford a brand new one. I’m a teacher, so I think I could also get a discount from Apple, if I go that route.
Thank you!
That computer advertised is a 6 year old or older computer, hardly worth that much money. I recommend buying directly from Apple for a refurbished model, unless you are technically savvy.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Hi Kate. If you don't know what you're doing with these then stay away.

Like the others, I'd recommend getting a refurbished Apple computer direct from Apple. Perhaps wait until the 2018 models come out in the next few months, and then consider buying a 2017. Or else make use of the education discount.

Also, there is an Apple education event on March 27. It will be interesting to see if any appropriate Macs get released then, so in the very least you should wait 10 days before making any decisions. One key rumour is that Apple might be releasing a cheaper model or models to capture more of the edu market.

BTW, in some countries, the back-to-school sales are pretty decent. For example, in 2017 you'd get the usual edu discount plus a set of wireless headphones worth a couple of hundred bux. The sale began mid-July in 2017.

jeyf

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2009
I would buy a 2015 MBP. avoid the most recent MBP design that started late 2016. I dont know if the 2018 designs will be better but likely not. Get a unit with at least a 1Tbyte solid state drive.

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA
Thank you!

Stay as far away from this as possible.

1) it’s a machine that’s 6 years old.
2) that warranty they offer is as useless as the paper it’s printed on as it’s NOT AppleCare. If they even honored it, you’d have to go through them, not Apple.
3) it is absolutely NOT “manufacturer refurbished”. Apple doesn’t sell refurbished machines on eBay.
4) it says “2011/2012 upgraded to 2017 spec. It’s not. They took an old machine and put High Sierra on it and are trying to rip unsuspecting buyers off. Period.

If you’re a teacher then wait until the 27th and see what Apple announces, as others have said. And completely ignore the above post that says “buy a 2015 model and get a 1tb drive”. You’re a teacher, not a content creator. Unless you’re storing hundreds of thousands of documents you have zero need for a 1tb ssd. AND, it will absolutely destroy your budget.

Reactions: Glmnet1

smallcoffee

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2014
North America
Stay as far away from this as possible.

1) it’s a machine that’s 6 years old.
2) that warranty they offer is as useless as the paper it’s printed on as it’s NOT AppleCare. If they even honored it, you’d have to go through them, not Apple.
3) it is absolutely NOT “manufacturer refurbished”. Apple doesn’t sell refurbished machines on eBay.
4) it says “2011/2012 upgraded to 2017 spec. It’s not. They took an old machine and put High Sierra on it and are trying to rip unsuspecting buyers off. Period.

If you’re a teacher then wait until the 27th and see what Apple announces, as others have said. And completely ignore the above post that says “buy a 2015 model and get a 1tb drive”. You’re a teacher, not a content creator. Unless you’re storing hundreds of thousands of documents you have zero need for a 1tb ssd. AND, it will absolutely destroy your budget.

Looks like the 2015 trolls are already out in force

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Agree with others here.
Don't trust the promise of "a 3 year warranty" from ebay.

I would suggest an Apple-refurbished 2015-design MacBook Pro.
13" is affordable.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
I will reiterate, don't do anything until March 27 (edu event), and in fact, consider waiting until past June 4 (WWDC) into July (yearly edu sale).

smallcoffee

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2014
North America
I will reiterate, don't do anything until March 27 (edu event), and in fact, consider waiting until past June 4 (WWDC) into July (yearly edu sale).

I agree - you should always wait as long as you can before you buy a computer (or just about anything really).

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I agree - you should always wait as long as you can before you buy a computer (or just about anything really).
There is always going to be a new product coming out. As soon as we get new products, we are still behind the technology, as new products are already in progress. As such, it is not necessarily prudent to wait and wait. Assess the need, assess the financial means, take stock of current pricing and any potential hardware or software problems with the models being considered, then make a decision.

smallcoffee

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2014
North America
There is always going to be a new product coming out. As soon as we get new products, we are still behind the technology, as new products are already in progress. As such, it is not necessarily prudent to wait and wait. Assess the need, assess the financial means, take stock of current pricing and any potential hardware or software problems with the models being considered, then make a decision.

Or not make a decision until you absolutely have to make a decision, at which point you just buy what's on the market (which will be the 'latest and greatest'). If you can afford to wait, then you will be able to buy the latest technology. If you can't afford to wait, then you've already waited until you have to make a decision anyway.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Or not make a decision until you absolutely have to make a decision, at which point you just buy what's on the market (which will be the 'latest and greatest'). If you can afford to wait, then you will be able to buy the latest technology. If you can't afford to wait, then you've already waited until you have to make a decision anyway.
The point is keeping up with technology is an exercise in futility.

The OP has a limited budget, even with a potential educator discount. As such, it doesn't make sense to say wait and wait, when she can go ahead and find a laptop that fits her needs and budget today.

smallcoffee

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2014
North America

The OP has a limited budget, even with a potential educator discount. As such, it doesn't make sense to say wait and wait, when she can go ahead and find a laptop that fits her needs and budget today.

Which is why you should wait - technology constantly approves so whatever you’re buying at that point in time with your budget is probably best. If you wait, your $2000 or whatever buys x+2 instead of just x.

So it does make sense to wait - because you will almost always get more for your money. If you need something right this second it’s because you’ve already waited until that point where you need something right this second. You’re exercising the first point I made.

If you have a idk, 2011 MacBook Pro and need to upgrade, can you wait 6 months? Can you only wait a day? This is important. If you can wait 6 months you can buy something better than what’s available today. Maximize the lifespan and your money.

Glmnet1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2017

Yes it does make sense, probably more than for someone who has a bigger budget. By waiting, one can buy a better device for the same price or get the same device for a lower price.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017

Of course it makes sense to wait. For educators buying a new personal machine, the yearly back to school sales are the best value.

1) They often happen after the latest and greatest machines are released.
2) They allow the educator to claim the education discount.
3) On top of the edu discount, they also provide additional value through free additional item. In the old days it might have been an iPod mini or a gift card or something. Last year it was a set of Beats Wireless Solo3 headphones, which retail for US$300.

And even if they don't buy a new machine, the previous models will get discounted after the new models are out, and typically the refurb pricing for the old models are a bit lower than the edu pricing on the new models.

And finally, March 27 is actually an edu-specific event that is only 9 days away. It would be foolish to not wait at least for that.

MichaelDT

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2012
I going to be frank. You, myself, and others here are computing enthusiasts more commonly known as a geeks. Normal everyday folks do not generally care about about minor updates to platforms, such as new design, faster ram, bigger cache, etc.. They want a computer that can turn on, get on the web, write docs, look at pictures, etc. They will keep that computer until it a. breaks or b. they need to install something that won’t work. This usually happens 3-6 years after Apple stops providing OS updates, or 9-12 years after a model is released if the computer hasn’t failed by then. I saw this every single day when I worked selling Macs.

Waiting, in this context, is moronic.

impulse462

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2009
I going to be frank. You, myself, and others here are computing enthusiasts more commonly known as a geeks. Normal everyday folks do not generally care about about minor updates to platforms, such as new design, faster ram, bigger cache, etc.. They want a computer that can turn on, get on the web, write docs, look at pictures, etc. They will keep that computer until it a. breaks or b. they need to install something that won’t work. This usually happens 3-6 years after Apple stops providing OS updates, or 9-12 years after a model is released if the computer hasn’t failed by then. I saw this every single day when I worked selling Macs.

nope. using peoples ignorance to justify bad purchasing decisions just enforces their non-tech savy nature. telling this person to not wait 9 days just because they "probably" wont pay attention enough to their computer to learn more about it is pretty cynical.

this applies to other fields too, not just computers or technology

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA
nope. using peoples ignorance to justify bad purchasing decisions just enforces their non-tech savy nature. telling this person to not wait 9 days just because they "probably" wont pay attention enough to their computer to learn more about it is pretty cynical.

Agreed. Even my 75 year old mother will ask me if Apple is about to release a new model of an iPad or whatever before she purchases. It’s 9 days. Hell, had I known it was coming I might not have picked up my 2017 15” that just arrived Thursday morning.

MichaelDT

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2012

I disagree. It just doesn’t matter to these people. It absolutely matters to you but is a waste of time for people with other priorities. Most people in human centric jobs do not need the fanciest latest tech.

Example, I drive a 24 year old car I know there are far better cars but for my use it works. When it dies beyond reasonable repair I will immediately get a new one and drive it until it dies. I will not wait because the next year will have some likely better technology. I simply do not care, and in the long run it won’t materially matter.

Being tech savvy also is not a higher state of being, it’s a hobby or an interest. An interest that is unnecessary and a waste of time and brain power for many people.

If you need a computer now, buy it now. Of course shop around for the best deal but find it and buy.

smallcoffee

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2014
North America

As the poster above pointed out, this is very poor advice. I'm not sure why this is so contentious for you. You should only buy a new computer when you absolutely need one. Trying to time updates is a fool's game.
[doublepost=1521395979][/doublepost]
I disagree. It just doesn’t matter to these people. It absolutely matters to you but is a waste of time for people with other priorities. Most people in human centric jobs do not need the fanciest latest tech.

Example, I drive a 24 year old car I know there are far better cars but for my use it works. When it dies beyond reasonable repair I will immediately get a new one and drive it until it dies. I will not wait because the next year will have some likely better technology. I simply do not care, and in the long run it won’t materially matter.

Being tech savvy also is not a higher state of being, it’s a hobby or an interest. An interest that is unnecessary and a waste of time and brain power for many people.

If you need a computer now, buy it now. Of course shop around for the best deal but find it and buy.

You're literally doing what I am telling other people to do. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.