Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

projectone

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 5, 2008
They bought my canon elan 7ne camera for $70 dollars. The rep told me that it was marketed for only 100 and he will pay 70%. So i accepted it. But today when I searched for it on their website it is listed for $274 and rated as like new, which it should be because i never used it. So If it is $274 wouldn't i receive (274*.7) $191? Can someone explain this.
And here is the listing. http://www.adorama.com/US%20%20%20%20358466.html

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
I see several of those on the Adorama site, how you do know that particular one is yours? Not all of them are being sold at the $274.

If you sold your camera outright to them, then they can do what they want. They may get more than the $70 they paid you, but they may also get less (and hence lose money on the deal.) The risk is entirely theirs.

If you had a consignment arrangement with them, then you should get a percentage of whatever price they sell it for. Perhaps you would get less $70, perhaps you would get more. Both you and Adorama would be sharing the risk.

Is it fair, I don't know... But you made the deal.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
They bought my canon elan 7ne camera for $70 dollars. The rep told me that it was marketed for only 100 and he will pay 70%. So i accepted it. But today when I searched for it on their website it is listed for $274 and rated as like new, which it should be because i never used it. So If it is $274 wouldn't i receive (274*.7) $191? Can someone explain this.
And here is the listing. http://www.adorama.com/US%20%20%20%20358466.html

Ever sell an old DVD or videogame at the trade-in store?

I sold a DVD TV show set for $6 cash, they in turn sell it for $17.99. At the videogame store, I sell a game for $4, they in turn sell it for $11.99.

I sold some lenses to a different place for cash an I got $25 each for it. They in turn sold them for $100.

They have to charge extra for cleaning, inspection, adjustments, and a warranty for the next buyer.

It's more like .25 so 274 x .25 = 68.50, so $70 seems right.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Confused here

Is it just the body or body with a lens?

Though in the end any sale of a used item requires research on your part. Working in the photo retail side of things I can tell you that one man's mint is another man's bargain basement deal.

Not sure what the "real" condition of the item(s) were; but does sound like you might have been low balled. There are sources out there you should have checked; Craig's List, KEH, and even eBay. Not sure if you have any used camera dealers in your area; but did you check them out?

Sadly in the end it is much like selling your 2006 Civic for just $3000 to a local dealer. And them selling it for $10K. They won and you lost.

projectone

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 5, 2008
Honestly,

i have to say, "buying" from them is a really great experience. Items are of superior quality and shipping is pretty decent but not as fast as businesses (newegg) but i cannot complain since it shipped from NY to Las Vegas.

I'll give them credit for that. Maybe it was just a bad rep i was dealing with. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.