Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JohnnyGo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 9, 2009
Tried every method under the sun, SMC/PRAM, editing PLISTS, turning off dropbox, reducing standby wait time, etc.

My config:
MBP16 13"TB (base model)
MacOS Sierra

Any advice ? Any news on High Sierra fixing the sleep issues with these new Intel chips ? I can't have my laptop loosing 10-15% of battery every night, or losing 5-10% during the day while not in use.

I expect to close my lid with a certain battery % and open it 1-2 hours later with the same %. Losing 2-3% overnight is acceptable.

Please help !

JohnnyGo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 9, 2009
Thanks !

1) Powernap off !

2) Nope. Do not close all apps. But have turned off all notifications.

The point of being able to close your lid is to put it to sleep fast and return to work from sleep quickly. Otherwise I can just shutdown my Macbook and reboot the next day.

joefoong79

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2017
Forget about finding way to fix this because is about individual machine problem. Many forums had complaint about this and each mac is act differently. So accept it. If you own apple phone before you will know what I'm talking about

Reactions: Rocko99991

wiffle

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2017
Try this. https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...ry-loss-while-on-sleep.2043498/#post-24536461

Just a follow up: after following the steps located here: https://apple.stackexchange.com/que...-consumes-10-battery-overnight-with-the-lid-c , I'm no longer experiencing these issues. Overnight loss of 1% as opposed to 10% the night before.

Others with a 15" tbMBP - mind running this command in terminal and seeing what the output is?

ioreg -l | grep IOPlatformFeatureDefaults

I'm curious as to whether or not those who are not experiencing this issue have the default output which is:
{"TCPKeepAliveDuringSleep"=Yes,"DNDWhileDisplaySleeps"=No,"TCPKeepAliveExpirationTimeout"=43200,"NotificationWake"=Yes}

I've had to change the 'Yes' values for TCPKeepAliveDuringSleep and NotificationWake using those instructions above to 'False' in order to not have my battery drain while in sleep mode..

New_Mac_Smell

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2016
Shanghai
Is it actually loosing percentage or are you looking at the estimated percentage on the toolbar?

It's quite probable that the laptop has been off charge, and when the system wakes up it panics and reduces percentage remaining. So just to check, if you open it back up and leave it for say 30 minutes, does this percentage change at all?

The only real way to test this is to run a battery test. Charge it up then see how long it lasts (lab conditions). Then charge it up and leave it for 24 hours, then open it and see how its lasts again. Adding a standard deviation, and calculating actual percentage loss from there.

JohnnyGo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 9, 2009
Is it actually loosing percentage or are you looking at the estimated percentage on the toolbar?

It's quite probable that the laptop has been off charge, and when the system wakes up it panics and reduces percentage remaining. So just to check, if you open it back up and leave it for say 30 minutes, does this percentage change at all?

The only real way to test this is to run a battery test. Charge it up then see how long it lasts (lab conditions). Then charge it up and leave it for 24 hours, then open it and see how its lasts again. Adding a standard deviation, and calculating actual percentage loss from there.

No estimates. Actual % charged.

Tried running down battery to "reset" counter.

Always start using after full charge.

JohnnyGo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 9, 2009
Not yet. From other posters, I have a sense Apple has a myriad of band aid solutions but not a silver bullet.

If I were in the US, I would already be inside an Apple Store to find a more definitive fix.

Rocko99991

macrumors 68000
Jul 25, 2017
Not yet. From other posters, I have a sense Apple has a myriad of band aid solutions but not a silver bullet.

If I were in the US, I would already be inside an Apple Store to find a more definitive fix.
If you use the chat I am sure they will run through clearing cache, ram, restore, etc. Do all that before you take it in as they will do it anyhow.

Boneheadxan

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2009
While not an ideal solution...have you tried turning off the WiFi before putting it to sleep?

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
When I had the 2016 MBP 15" I was losing % but since I got the 2017 I'm no longer losing any % of battery after unplugging on a full charge. In fact I reported earlier that I unplugged after a full charge and did not get the chance to use my laptop for 2 days when I opened it on the 3rd day it was still at 100%. I never power down just close the laptop and wifi is always on. The only thing I did was change the notifications in system pref>notifications>Turn on Do Not Disturb...I checked the box for when the display is sleeping and when mirroring to tvs and projectors.

JohnnyGo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 9, 2009
Sorry to report but lost 14% overnight even with WIFI off as suggested.

Thanks MrGuder... I already have the DND settings like yours.

JohnnyGo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 9, 2009
The MacBook went into repair.

After chatting with Apple support that seemed the only alternative left.

Will live without my MacBook for 1-2 weeks if they can’t fix it by software/new config.

DesertSilver

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2011
Portland, OR
What is the deal with the 2016 Touchbar battery drain??? I bought a maxed out 2016 13" TB when it came out last year, returned it because of the horrendous battery life and went with a 2016 non-TB version. The non-TB has had wonderful battery life in the year that I've had it.

Since the 2016 TB's have been going on clearance, I thought I'd pick one up since the prices were good and I was thinking to myself that software HAS to have been optimized by now to help with battery life. Nope!

Went to bed with 71% battery and quit all programs and put the laptop to sleep. 7 hours later I wake the laptop and I have 56%. Not okay. This is AFTER cycling the battery a couple times.

I shouldn't have to do "hacks" to make my laptop work, especially one from Apple. And my non-TB has TCPKeepAlive set to 1 for both charging and battery so why should I have to modify this to make my TB work?

Ugghhh...guess I'll be returning the TB.

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
I have a similar issue with my 2017. Power nap is off but it acts as if it's on, When I open the lid in the morning, all my text messages and emails are all up to date. Seems power nap is on regardless of what setting I chose.

t2nerb

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2008
Macs bought with MacOS preinstalled have a feature that keeps the internet connection alive while your computer is sleeping. This allows you to use Find Your Mac and other features.

If you'd like to disable it to save battery life, open the terminal and use the command:
pmset -b tcpkeepalive 0

This will disable internet connectivity during sleep while your Macbook is on battery power.

Reactions: 2IS

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
Macs bought with MacOS preinstalled have a feature that keeps the internet connection alive while your computer is sleeping. This allows you to use Find Your Mac and other features.

If you'd like to disable it to save battery life, open the terminal and use the command:
pmset -b tcpkeepalive 0

This will disable internet connectivity during sleep while your Macbook is on battery power.

Interesting, has this always been the case or is it something new with Sierra? This is only the 2nd MacBook I've owned, the first being a 2010 MBA that came pre-installed with Snow Leopard, but I don't think that OS had any of those features at all.

JohnnyGo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 9, 2009
Got my MacBook Pro back from Apple repair. New battery. Will see what happens over the next couple of days and report back.

Reactions: green86

JohnnyGo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 9, 2009
Got my MacBook Pro back from Apple repair. New battery. Will see what happens over the next couple of days and report back.

Tested standby/sleep twice.

First time still had 10% loss. Changed all the settings I could find in terminal pmset. Logs showed a lot of darkwakes.

Second time much better. A little over 5% but for a full 14h period. Only two wakes during the sleep period.

Now testing shutdown mode.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.