Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NecRosex

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 16, 2019
babyLon
Ok, so ever since I updated to the latest beta, it never stopped indexing and "photolibraryd" always runs in the background, console is posting errors every second as can be seen in the screenshot below.
MacBook Pro 13" 2018 lasts only about 3 hours on battery doing mostly nothing or watching a movie in VLC because all the indexing, etc. runs in the background (EVEN THO IT'S NOT CONNECTED TO THE POWER ADAPTER)

Indexing is stuck at the exact same point when I check the progress bar via Spotlight.

"mds_stores" or "mds" just READS through my entire disk (BYTES READ column), I can see it in Activity Monitor, whenever it gets to around 120 gigs, which is all my data, it starts again :D

Has anyone encountered this? Also, is the log from console alright? Is it supposed to look like that when it comes to photolibraryd?

CPU and DISK screenshots from activity monitor attached below:
Screenshot 2019-07-19 at 18.52.47.png
Screenshot 2019-07-19 at 18.50.28.png
Screenshot 2019-07-19 at 19.04.10.png Screenshot 2019-07-19 at 19.04.21.png

Last edited:

AlanShutko

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2008
Photoanalysisd completed for me, but mds_store is still going. I am able to do spotlight searches, so at least part of the index is there.

I just reset the spotlight indices, so I'm going to give it a while to see if it terminates. If not, I think it's time for mddiagnose and a bug report.

NecRosex

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 16, 2019
babyLon
Screenshot 2019-07-19 at 20.29.25.png
Photoanalysisd completed for me, but mds_store is still going. I am able to do spotlight searches, so at least part of the index is there.

I just reset the spotlight indices, so I'm going to give it a while to see if it terminates. If not, I think it's time for mddiagnose and a bug report.
"photoanalysis" stopped for me as well, but "People" section in Photos app still doesn't work as expected and it's telling me to wait :D
it's "photolibraryd" that keeps running.

NecRosex

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 16, 2019
babyLon
Fixed photolibraryd (at least it seems like it's okay now) by deleting the entire Photos library and let it sync with iCloud
BUT!
mds is still running in the background even after I turn spotlight indexing off via "mdutil -a -i off" so idk

masi0

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2010
Earth
I have the same issue with photolibraryd - I have removed the library but now I cannot enable Photos in iCloud - getting "Checking library" - then in stops and nothing happens. I did diskutil/first aid in recovery mode, create new blank photo library but it did not helped. any suggestions?

GreggVan

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2021
Ok, so ever since I updated to the latest beta, it never stopped indexing and "photolibraryd" always runs in the background, console is posting errors every second as can be seen in the screenshot below.
MacBook Pro 13" 2018 lasts only about 3 hours on battery doing mostly nothing or watching a movie in VLC because all the indexing, etc. runs in the background (EVEN THO IT'S NOT CONNECTED TO THE POWER ADAPTER)

Indexing is stuck at the exact same point when I check the progress bar via Spotlight.

"mds_stores" or "mds" just READS through my entire disk (BYTES READ column), I can see it in Activity Monitor, whenever it gets to around 120 gigs, which is all my data, it starts again :D

Has anyone encountered this? Also, is the log from console alright? Is it supposed to look like that when it comes to photolibraryd?

CPU and DISK screenshots from activity monitor attached below:
View attachment 849021 View attachment 849017
View attachment 849023 View attachment 849024
I found this in another place (Apple Community) and it worked for me

1. start Photos, let it continue past the first dialogue box;
  2. now Preferences… in the main app menu under Photos just right after Apple logo is clickable (it wasn't before);
  3. Preferences… (⌘+,) → General tab , and untick both check boxes in Memories;
    Memories settings
  4. close Photos.
This stops photoanalysisd cold, no reboot or kill required.

Reactions: Canubis and dorsal
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.