Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

carve

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2006
I cannot decide on what digital camera to get. I would like a descent camera 100 - 165 dollars with a fairly good display. If you could help that would be great!!!

Thank You!:)

DMPDX

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2005
Not to be rude, but 100 dollars wont get you a very decent camera, maybe not even a display. I think youd want to invest a little more into something that you would actually use.
-dsm

chrismcdowell25

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2004
$100

I spent about $499 on my canon camera a few years ago. Then about $1400 on my other canon camera a few weeks ago. $100 wont get you anything noteworthy in specs.

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
I have an older version of that Pentax mentioned in this thread.

I'm of the belief that a person can make due with something maybe less-worthy in technical specifications, and instead increase the effort needed to produce something good with it. May not be as fun, but the results aren't always bad, either.

I used that Pentax to capture a lot of the wallpapers found here...

http://andybloxham.com/photography/wallpaper

destroyboredom

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2002
Washington, DC.
I'm looking to sell my Nikon Coolpix 4500 w/ 256 CF card and the Nikon Filter set for $200 if you are interested? PM me if you are. It's a great camera, I'm just looking to go to a DSLR

John T

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2006
UK.
macluver101 said:
I cannot decide on what digital camera to get. I would like a descent camera 100 - 165 dollars with a fairly good display.
It all depends on what you want it for! If you just want something to take general pics etc for enlargement up to, say A5, the Fuji Finepix range take some beating and they fit in your price range.

Don't forget, it's the man behind the camera that makes the photograph - not the camera - it's only a tool!

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
John T said:
Don't forget, it's the man behind the camera that makes the photograph - not the camera - it's only a tool!

Yeah, but if you're forced to use a crappy tool, it doesn't matter if you're a blind man or the chief photogrpaher for National Geographic. :cool:

Long story short, $100 is not going to buy you a lot of quality.

John T

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2006
UK.
Shard,

I notice you quote Leonardo. Look what he did - with just a crayon!!

I rest my case ! ;)

carve

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2006
Canon?

What about the canon A520 for 175? is that good?

sundevil21

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2006
Here's an option

Try this one out...anything from Canon, for the most part, will be a great camera. The important factors that I've found to be worth looking at are the true megapixels (ultimately it depends on what you want to photograph), the optical zoom (don't worry too much about the digital zoom - its all "made up" pixel information, anyway) and whether or not the camera feels comfortable holding it, etc. Amazon usually has some great deals on Canon cameras, especially models that are being phased out, but are still good solid cameras.
Here's an example:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...11/102-3631634-3456104?_encoding=UTF8&s=photo

I know this one is slightly out of your price range, but only by $10-20. So its worth a look. Also, if you have an Apple Store nearby, see if they still have any Sony DSC-P200 cameras still in stock, as they have been marked down in price to $150, I think. Its not Canon, but Sony does have good lenses, and a few of the people I know with Sony's are generally happy with them. The body style of the P200 is much better than many of Sony's others.

Good luck, hope this helps. Don't worry too much about some of the others saying that you can't get anything worthwhile for your price range. Yes, its a little on the low-end, but still completely do-able.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
macluver101 said:
What about the canon A520 for 175? is that good?

Meh, I say get it. You don't have many choices of a good digital camera for $100-$165.

Generally speaking, Canon and Nikons are a bit more expensive for what you get, so if you look at companies like Fuji, Casio, Pentax, Kodak, etc, they offer you great cameras at slightly cheaper prices than the Canon equivalents. They're not bad cameras at all, either, so don't worry about going with a company like Casio.

dogbone

macrumors 68020
destroyboredom said:
I'm looking to sell my Nikon Coolpix 4500 w/ 256 CF card and the Nikon Filter set for $200 if you are interested? PM me if you are. It's a great camera, I'm just looking to go to a DSLR

I used to have a 4500 and I can highly recommend it. This sounds like a good buy. Fantastic macro capabilities.

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
macluver101 said:
I cannot decide on what digital camera to get. I would like a descent camera 100 - 165 dollars with a fairly good display. If you could help that would be great!!!

Thank You!:)

if thats really your budget, just go get a disposable camera and take it to walgreens and have the prints transferred to cd. thats actually a nice way to do it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.