Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gamerz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 2, 2006
Hey guys,

so looking on internet for boxing day sales, and at my local futureshop they have a Canon XT with the 18-55mm lens, for the great price of $399... Now, instead of that I would probably get the D40, but it isn't on sale, and is -$539. What I really want to know is which one is:

1. better-spec wise

2. futureproof- meaning features, technology, If I would have to buy another camera to get different pro functions, etc.

So, I really need replies quickly, and thanks in advance.

Merry Christmas!

And keep in mind that I would be saving $200 if I got the XT as apposed to the D40.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
2. futureproof- meaning features, technology, If I would have to buy another camera to get different pro functions, etc.

What you are buying is the first installment on a larger system that will grown to include several lenses and likely in four years or so another DSLR body. If you buy Canon today all those future lenses and that replaemnet body will also be Canon. Same for Nikon. The best thing is to figure out what you want to get next because what you buy now will limit what you CAN buy next.

Canon makes a nice 70-200 f/4 L zoom, Nikon does not but then Nikon's f/2.8 zoom is even better and they sell used for $650. Which of these do you want?
Same with the flash systems I think Nikon's flash metering is best. I like Nikon's light metering too. But Canon makes stuf Niokn doesn't But would you ever buy any of it?

Remember SLR bodies don't make images, lenses make images the body only captures it. Think about lenses you want then buy the body.

The thing about SLRs is it is a system composed of many parts

Ok Hw to choose: In general Canon will allways have the latest high tech stuff out first. Nikon is a more conservative company and seems to care more about ergonomics and ease of use. At the very high end both have excelent build quality buy Canon is lower at the lower end, none of Niokon's gear feels cheap when you hold it but at the low end some of Canon's might. I Think Canon offers a wider range of build qualities

SolracSelbor

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2007
If your into HDR i recommend the Rebel XT because it has exposure bracketing. I believe this is essential and the fact that it does not have one can greatly limit you capabilities. I do recommend the Xti however, not only because of the 10mp but because it has a larger lcd and the XT's lcd is a bit on the orange side.

I really like Nikon, but the only Nikon I would recommend is the d80 which is freaking EXPENSIVE! However, I think the Pentax K10D beats all three.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Hey guys,

so looking on internet for boxing day sales, and at my local futureshop they have a Canon XT with the 18-55mm lens, for the great price of $399... Now, instead of that I would probably get the D40, but it isn't on sale, and is -$539. What I really want to know is which one is:

1. better-spec wise

So, I really need replies quickly, and thanks in advance.

Merry Christmas!

And keep in mind that I would be saving $200 if I got the XT as apposed to the D40.

Neither one is "better" just like white paint isn't better than yellow paint. They're both intro cameras, so they don't have all the features that you'll find up-market by either manufacturer. You can get acceptable images out of either camera, you can get good and bad lenses in either system. If you don't know for sure that you're going to be shooting a particular thing, then it won't matter much which you pick. You might want to research the lens to see if it's one you'll want to keep.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Which camera feels better in your hands? Which one seems easier to you to use? What kinds of shots do you envision taking with a DSLR and various lenses? These are the things about which you should be concerned rather than a few hundred dollars' difference one way or another at the point of purchase.

gamerz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 2, 2006
Okay, I have only held a D40, and it felt awesome in my hands, felt a nice build quality, and its nice and compact. The images that I like to take are macro, abstract, and landscape, I might move into portraits later on as I get better.

That $200 savings though... thats really getting to me :rolleyes:

Nuc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2003
TN
If your into HDR i recommend the Rebel XT because it has exposure bracketing. I believe this is essential and the fact that it does not have one can greatly limit you capabilities. I do recommend the Xti however, not only because of the 10mp but because it has a larger lcd and the XT's lcd is a bit on the orange side.

I really like Nikon, but the only Nikon I would recommend is the d80 which is freaking EXPENSIVE! However, I think the Pentax K10D beats all three.
The 40D has auto exposure bracketing (AEB) from what the manual said.

Nuc

Shacklebolt

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2004
Get the Nikon. Why? Because one of the hackers in the movie "Hackers" (1995, Angelina Jolie, Matthew Lillard, Jonny Lee Miller) is named "Lord Nikon", because he has a photographic memory. How sweet is that.

Seriously, though, I have limited experience with the Digital Rebel, but one of the reasons I always leaned towards Nikon is because the build quality of the Rebel felt very, very cheap for a DSLR. Granted, I didn't get a D40, but I looked at it, and it just felt a lot nicer. Plus, from what I gather from the more experienced photographers on here, the lenses you buy for it are going to end up being the important part, and both companies seem to have very fine ones. But yeah, I do say go for the Nikon. Not saying it's necessarily a better camera - well okay, I am, because it seems like Nikon put a bit more thoughtfulness into its construction. A month from now, you won't remember where the 200 bucks went. Or, alternatively, just do something to save 200 bucks in the near future.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Okay, I have only held a D40, and it felt awesome in my hands, felt a nice build quality, and its nice and compact. The images that I like to take are macro, abstract, and landscape, I might move into portraits later on as I get better.

That $200 savings though... thats really getting to me :rolleyes:

Macro is more about the lens and tripod than the body. Landscapes, abstracts and portraits are about the same (portraiture is all about the lighting.) A good macro lens is going to cost- so if you're really serious about it, price out the bodies or kits with the 90mm Tamron for the Nikon and the 100mm Macro for the Canon (you could also price out the 105mmVR for the Nikon, but I think the Tamron is a better deal.) For landscapes, I'd go with at least 35mm- I like the Sigma 10-20 on Nikon, Canon offers a similar lens. $200 will go towards a good lens, so if it's really bugging you, get the Canon- you'll get great images with either system and you'll get used to the ergonomics of either system.

Even if you're only going to stick with the kit lens for a while to get used to the camera, price it all out- flash, body and 2-3 lenses (don't be suckered into pricing an entire zoom range, just pick the three most likely lenses.)

Then if one's still cheaper and price is important to you, go with that one, if the other is cheaper, then decide if money now is more important.

Either way, the longer you wait the more shots you'll miss.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
It's not that big of a deal now that both bodies are pretty similar. Pick that one based on the lens that either Nikon or Canon offers and no one else has (and that isn't even that important nowadays with the build quality improving on Sigma Tokina and Tamron lenses) or how the body feels in your hands. In all reality NONE of that matters, only the lens you stick on the front of it.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
The problem with the Tamron 90 for the Nikon D40/x is that it would not autofocus on that camera; however, this is not such a difficult obstacle because 99.9% of the time when doing macro work one needs to manually focus anyway. The Nikon 105mm VR macro lens will autofocus on the D40/x and actually also works quite nicely as a portrait lens as well, surprisingly. It's because of the focal length, which some people prefer for portraiture. However, this is an expensive lens...... There is also the reasonably-priced 60mm micro-Nikkor, an AF lens which will only manually focus on the D40. This lens does not provide a lot of distance between you and your subject, though -- it's not the one to choose when taking photos of flying, stinging creatures!

Actually, the 18-55mm kit lens that comes with the D40 focuses surprisingly closely; it's not quite macro 1:1 ratio, but pretty darned close. I would hold off on the macro lens for a while and get a feel for what you really want to shoot before investing too much in additional lenses.

smallmama

macrumors newbie
Dec 24, 2008
Depends on witch area you leave but Dumoulin is having D40 with 18-55mm for 398.88 CDN.
So hurry up!!!!!!!!

Bestbuy is having it at 499,99 CDN

PCMacUser

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2005
The only correct answer is: have a play with them and see which feels more comfortable to use. People will tell you all sorts of crap about which manufacturer makes the best lenses or flash systems or whatever the hell they want. The truth is, they're all pretty much the same. The brand of camera won't make you a better photographer. Buy what you like the feel of.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.