Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

weichjty

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2020
Hey guys I'm new to this Forum and I was wondering if you guys could help me out with some issues I'm having with 3 Macbook pros that i recently got from my friend that runs a computer recycling business.

The Macbooks have an operating system on them that works fine but it is password locked and I am unable to get the passwords for it
I figured I would reinstall MacOS on them but am running into issues doing so.

When trying to boot to recovery I get a prohibitory sign and am unable to.
When trying to boot to internet recovery I get the same prohibitory sign.
When trying to boot to a mac installer usb I get the same prohibitory sign.

The only menu that I can boot into is the boot menu by holding down the option key upon booting the computer. 2 options are shown when I do this 1: MacOS(which works fine) and 2: Recovery-10.12 (which just goes to a prohibitory sign when I try it. When I plug in my installer USB it shows a third option 3: Install macOS Catallna. when trying the third option i get the prohibitory sign.
I was able to successively install ubuntu on one of these macbook pros just fine. I only did the one to see if it would work because I want to have MacOS on these machines.

These macbooks measure 14.5 inches wide by about 10 inches and the model number for all three is A1286. After looking up the serial number I found out that these are mid 2009 macbook pros

Any input would be greatly appreciated as I have been struggling with this for a while now.

Last edited:

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
Are you sure about the model numbers? I can not find a 2009 MBP A1268. I'm trying to find what OS versions that were supported by a 2009 MBP. I do not know of a 2009 that supports macOS 10.12 (Sierra), which means that a unsupported OS might have been installed (that might explain the problem with accessing Recovery).

weichjty

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2020
sorry I got that wrong its a1286 my bad. and yeah I'm downloading a few other ones right now that I'm going to try including el capitan

weichjty

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2020
OK cool I am downloading it right now but I only have Windows and Ubuntu to make any bootable USBs. I made a usb with one of the newer versions of OSx and it didn't register in the macs boot menu so hopefully this one will.

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
OK cool I am downloading it right now but I only have Windows and Ubuntu to make any bootable USBs. I made a usb with one of the newer versions of OSx and it didn't register in the macs boot menu so hopefully this one will.
Good luck. I have only been able to successfully make a bootable macOS USB installer from a Mac running macOS.

brianmowrey

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2020
it doesn't give me the option to enter an EFI password anywhere.
Ah, I thought "prohibitory sign" meant password prompt. You mean a crossed-out-circle icon? A picture of what the "prohibitory sign" is would be helpful.

weichjty

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2020
OK so I was able to get snow lepard installed. Thank you guys for all your help I am new to macbooks and am still learning. I think I got this solved now :) super happy cause I've been working on this for some time now. I'm sure I will be back in this forum another time and am greatful for all your help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.