Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lovesong

macrumors 65816
If you're looking for an ultra-compact, then either the Canon sd1000 (the new sd1100 just came out), or any of the Sony T-series would be great.

Careful, as most ultra-compacts will sacrifice image quality for portability. Among the many issues with them is the infallible red-eye anytime you use a flash, and the image noise that starts at ISO 200.

If you're looking for a smallish camera that has good image quality, check out the Canon A-series, or the Fuji F-series. The L-18 is cute, but you get what you pay for.

catfish743

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2007
Kentucky
I bought an SD 750. I rather like it although no optical viewfinder. I think they were the same price at my circuit city though. The 750 seemed like a better fit.

Suspended
Dec 29, 2007
I've been using the Canon series for a while. SD300 and 800IS. I like the Canons because they have good color in their photos, are quick to turn on, quick in shot to shot, have VERY easy menus, so you can make adjustments very quickly. For instance, I found the Sony menus too deeply layered, and it took me too long to navigate to what I wanted. Not as familiar with Fuji or Nikon.

The downside with all tiny cameras is red-eye, noise above ISO 200 (that is, starting at 400) and some lens vignetting and distortion. Also, they generally don't have great zoom. The Canon SD series also doesn't have any manual control over aperture or shutter speed. They do in some Canon A series. Not sure on Nikon or Fujis

But, for a camera you can put in a pair of tight jeans pockets ALONG WITH an extra battery, the SD series is great. And in terms of pulling it out, turning it on, making a menu change, and taking the pic, there really is no camera I've tested that is quicker.

Morod

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2008
On The Nickel, over there....
I got a Canon SD850 about a month ago (my first digital) and I am really liking it so far. It's not the smallest P&S but it has plenty going for it. I was afraid the SD1000 was too small (not deep enough), as it wouldn't allow a proper grip on the camera when using it, and the A series was too big for spontaneous shots. I'm happy with my choice. :)
Morod

Cybergypsy

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 16, 2006
Central Florida!
Thanks guys I am getting the sd1000 the new sd1100 is out but for the price the sd1000 is the top point and shoot on flickr.....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.