Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pumpkin King

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 29, 2007
I'm leaving for a well deserved vacation to Australia and Thailand in early November.

I need something to unload all my photos on since my CF cards can't even hope to keep up with all the pics I'm planning to take. :D

Any suggestions on cheap storage? I'm looking online and they seem to be mostly PMPs around $300-400! I'd forgo that and just buy a laptop at that price. Incidentally, I don't have a laptop to take with me and was planning on waiting for a refresh (hopefully) of the MBP in January.

Thanks in advance for the help.

BanjoBanker

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2006
Mt Brook, AL
iPod

If you have an iPod, you can buy Apple's iPod to camera cable and off load them to your iPod. I have a 60Gb iPod Photo and I do it all the time when I don't want to tote my BlackBook with me. If you do not have an iPod, this could be the perfect excuse to buy one!:)

freebooter

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2005
Daegu, South Korea
Planning a big trip myself come Nov 'n Dec, I tried the iPod photo transfer method. The reports are correct on the slowness and power problems. I have an iPod video 5G 60GB, and transferring 2GB from my DSLR (with a fast card) used up about 65-75% of the battery power on the ipod and took around 40 minutes. This would be o.k. if you can be assured of a place to recharge your ipod every day or two or you shoot JPEG.
I can't be so sure, so I just bought an Hyperdrive Space. The folks on the dpreview.com forums give it two thumbs up. And you can install your own 2.5" hard drive and replace the battery easily unlike many competitors.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.