Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

paenguin

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 20, 2008
behind Torre Two
Hi,

I have been using Aperture 2.0 for more than 6 weeks now. i store my photos on my MBP in a separate folder than that of the Aperture library. it now more than 100GB of RAW images + versions + jpgs. so now, i bought a 500GB external drive (still thinking that is should have gotten a 1TB drive). Is there a way for me to transfer all my photos to the external drive and yet still retain them in Aperture (i mean without reimporting them) so i wont loose any adjustments i made? Thanks a lot!

Cheers!

taylorwilsdon

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2006
New York City
Lucky for you, Aperture makes it super easy. There is a huge single file called "Aperture Library" in your My Pictures folder that has all your files, adjustments etc in it. (I guess this only applies if you have been importing into aperture, but I assume you have)

paenguin

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 20, 2008
behind Torre Two
Lucky for you, Aperture makes it super easy. There is a huge single file called "Aperture Library" in your My Pictures folder that has all your files, adjustments etc in it. (I guess this only applies if you have been importing into aperture, but I assume you have)

hi taylor, so that it mean the even if i move the physical location of the RAW files, i can still retain the adjustments/versions?
will try it tonight...

Jan 30, 2006
I think you have to reference the photos from your external drive. This way you'll be able to view the previews from your laptop even if you don't have your external connected, and if you ever want to make some adjustments just connect your external.

This is how I understand it, but until now I haven't had the need to make that. It wouldn't hurt to wait for somebody to answer your question completely or maybe search google.:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.