Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MAC NEWBIE001

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2019
I have had a MacBook Pro's for a while but have since decided to set up a MAC PRO 5,1.

I bought a Nvidia GTX 1080 Titan to increase the GPU but I cannot figure out how to get started. I have looked into flashing the BIOS yet can't pin point where to start.

If anyone could send me a link to a thread, video, or help guide it would be very appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris

rawweb

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2015
I have had a MacBook Pro's for a while but have since decided to set up a MAC PRO 5,1.

I bought a Nvidia GTX 1080 Titan to increase the GPU but I cannot figure out how to get started. I have looked into flashing the BIOS yet can't pin point where to start.

If anyone could send me a link to a thread, video, or help guide it would be very appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris

Right now, Nvidia cards are only able to work as far as Mac OS High Sierra. You will need to install the web driver prior to installing the card as you won't have boot screens or any screens after installing the card. I typically remote in from another Mac to install a driver if I'm having issues, some users use older supported cards like the GT 120 for that. MVC has a good repository of the web drivers and subsequent OS versions. http://www.macvidcards.com/drivers.html. At the current time, Mojave is not supported.

You won't be able to flash the card unless you're using a 'stolen' rom or have written one yourself. ;) You won't find much help here flashing a ROM. It's a bit of a sensitive topic for many. If you don't care about boot screens, there's honestly no reason to flash the ROM.

So long as you supply the proper power and install the appropriate web driver, it should be pretty plug and play.

MAC NEWBIE001

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2019
Thanks to both of you.

Looks like I have a lot stuff to read. I tried the regular driver install to no avail.

Kinda wish it was as simple as sending it off, but with all of the different software combos I imagine this would be impossible.
[doublepost=1547309695][/doublepost]
Right now, Nvidia cards are only able to work as far as Mac OS High Sierra. You will need to install the web driver prior to installing the card as you won't have boot screens or any screens after installing the card. I typically remote in from another Mac to install a driver if I'm having issues, some users use older supported cards like the GT 120 for that. MVC has a good repository of the web drivers and subsequent OS versions. http://www.macvidcards.com/drivers.html. At the current time, Mojave is not supported.

You won't be able to flash the card unless you're using a 'stolen' rom or have written one yourself. ;) You won't find much help here flashing a ROM. It's a bit of a sensitive topic for many. If you don't care about boot screens, there's honestly no reason to flash the ROM.

So long as you supply the proper power and install the appropriate web driver, it should be pretty plug and play.
Scratch the above comment, with the web drivers it works perfectly. Thanks so much, Chris

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.