Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AversaS

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 3, 2013
My wife has a 2010 MacBook Pro. I recently upgraded her ram to the highest it will accept. I also purchased a SSD so I can swap out her hard drive.

So, here's my question. Right now, her computer cannot accept OS X Mojave. Once I swap in the SSD, will I be able to install Mojave? If not, is there anything I can do to get her computer running Mojave and be able to load her data from the old hard drive?

SnacksGU

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2018
USA
No. Mojave is not supported by that computer. There may be some possible workaround to be able to install Mojave on it.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
If the 2010 MBPro has been "left behind" by Mojave, it won't install or run.

The only "workaround" -- it -might- be possible to "hack it" to run, but I can't say anything more about that because I just don't know.

There's no great reason to have Mojave, anyway.
Put Low Sierra or High Sierra on it (after you install the SSD), and "let it be".

maxgts

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2013
Sunnyvale, CA
A member in another thread installed Mojave on his 2009 MacBook Pro. I asked him how and his response was:

Just used the dosdude patch like many others on this forum; it's simple and effective. Loads of threads on running MacOS on unsupported Macs on this forum and elsewhere.

AversaS

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 3, 2013
I've come to terms with just running High Sierra on the SSD. That's fine.

So, I was able to clone the hard drive quite easily using Disk Utility. I put the SSD in and the computer booted right up. But any time I turn it off and turn it on again, I get the gray screen with the no access logo.

If I hit command+r and restart the computer, it comes up - no problem.

Anybody know what's going on here?

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
I've come to terms with just running High Sierra on the SSD. That's fine.
So, I was able to clone the hard drive quite easily using Disk Utility. I put the SSD in and the computer booted right up. But any time I turn it off and turn it on again, I get the gray screen with the no access logo.
If I hit command+r and restart the computer, it comes up - no problem.
Anybody know what's going on here?
Did you set the System Preferences>Startup Disk to the new SSD?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.