Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattrgee

macrumors member
Original poster
May 28, 2009
Hi all,

I received a Nikon D40 last Christmas but since then I've yet to realise its full potential. The dial has barely left 'Auto' :(

I'm keen to understand the underlying principles but can't find suitable literature to guide me. I read a number of photography related magazines, but in all honesty I don't understand the technical details. What is aperture, what effect does it have? F whats? etc etc.

Can anyone recommend a book or DVD that shows these principles in use? I suppose a workshop would be ideal but I just don't know think I have the time at the moment.

Thanks.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Hi all,

I received a Nikon D40 last Christmas but since then I've yet to realise its full potential. The dial has barely left 'Auto' :(

I'm keen to understand the underlying principles but can't find suitable literature to guide me. I read a number of photography related magazines, but in all honesty I don't understand the technical details. What is aperture, what effect does it have? F whats? etc etc.

Can anyone recommend a book or DVD that shows these principles in use? I suppose a workshop would be ideal but I just don't know think I have the time at the moment.

Thanks.

Thom Hogan makes an eBook for the D40, and he does enough camera-specific stuff to probably make it worth your while. I think it's close to when he gets back from his annual sabbatical too, so you should be able to get it soon. http://www.bythom.com

mattrgee

macrumors member
Original poster
May 28, 2009
Thanks guys,

I'm going to check all these out now.

I've also found a local photography course that starts in September, it's 10 weeks at only £50 which is pretty good I think. Hopefully some self study and some classroom teaching should get me up to speed.

Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.