Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rikachan96

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2020
Hi everyone,

With my 2013 MacBook Air running out of storage, I'm looking for a new MacBook.
It's a challenge for me to switch from macOS to PC although there are games I play that are not supported by macOS.
Thus, my current plan is to get a MacBook and run Windows boot camp in it so I can play the games.

I was thinking of getting M1 models, but I found that M1 does not support the Windows bootcamp.
I also found that Apple discontinued MacBook Air that runs on Intel.

The specs I'm looking for are 512 GB SSD and 16GB RAM. I'm looking at other retailer options to find Intel MacBook Air models that have these specs, but I'm also opening my options for Intel MacBook Pro models.

I use my current MacBook mainly for browsing, watching shows, Google Drive documents, Microsoft Office, and Zoom. I have tons of files in Microsoft OneNote, which has caused frequent slowing and crashing issues on my current MacBook Air. Zoom is also an issue, as my MacBook always heats up while I use Zoom, especially when I use Microsoft OneNote with it. I may also use the MacBook in future for Adobe programs such as Photoshop and Illustrator. I would also like to use it for light gaming purposes (I play Genshin Impact and Maplestory) after getting the Windows bootcamp.

Would it be a good idea to still look for MacBook Air with 512 GB and 16GB RAM, or would it be better for me to switch to MacBook Pro with the same specs? Would it be a better idea to consider lower specs as well? I would appreciate any advice. Thanks!

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
What games are we talking about here? Because honestly a MacBook Air with Intel probably wouldn’t be powerful enough to play those games anyway

If they are simple, or older games though CrossOver might get you there, but that’s hit’n’miss... Mostly miss honestly.
Is it just Genshin and Maplestorm - I don’t really know those games, but I’d look to see how they run under Cross Over or potentially Windows on ARM with virtualization, because M1 is really miles ahead of the Intel Airs both in performance under macOS but also importantly, battery life and heat. The Intel model, even the latest, will exhibit the same heat issue with Zoom as your current.

What budget constraints are we under?
For Windows gaming on a Mac laptop, I’d almost say the 16” Pro is the best option but it’s also an overkill choice for everything else you describe as your use-case

Reactions: rikachan96

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
If you're gaming on a 2013 Macbook Air, that means you're likely running old/light games. I would first check if your games are actually available for macOS (if you use steam, this is easy). I'm seeing that many games are actually available for macOS natively.

IowaLynn

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2015
For now, can external storage get by? If Windows laptop is an option, and PC version of apps, I'd wait and consider a Surface Laptop 4 - due to be announced this month.
If laptop is optional, I was using mine tied to desk and monitor, I went with Intel 6-core 2020 Intel Mini (i5/16/512) and traded in my MacBook. It now runs Windows flawlessly.
Too many reasons to avoid 16" MBP - wait to see what this year's new m1+ models offer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.