Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vaio_v

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 22, 2016
I am an owner of a Mid- 2014 13' MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5, 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, Intel Iris 1536 MB, 512 GB SSD in macOS 10.15.4, and a 64 GB iPad Air 2, as well as an iPhone 11. I am a junior in college and have had the MacBook Pro for all of my college years. However, I am not quite sure as to how dated my laptop is, as it handles everything pretty much flawlessly. I have saved up some money for an upgrade of either my MacBook Pro or the iPad to an iPad Pro.

I need some advice as to what you think i should upgrade. I am a Business student, but a geek when it comes to owning power. I do not see myself getting the 16 inch Pro, but thinking of either the 2020 13'', or the 13'' iPad Pro. I need to take class notes, and do Business and Finance stuff on it, primarily (group collaboration, Skype etc). Do you think my MacBook is still worth keeping or should I get the trade in value? Will it start getting slower with macOS 10.16? Also, my Air 2 has been getting noticeably slower and slower and would like to get some more use out of it, but it's getting limited.

Do I go with the 2020 MacBook Pro, or the iPad Pro? YouTube recommends everything based on benchmarks and video editing, but I want to hear what people here have to say based on experience or judgement! Any kind of advice is very appreciated!

JustAnExpat

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2019
>However, I am not quite sure as to how dated my laptop is, as it handles everything pretty much flawlessly.

If it's still working good, save your money.

>I need to take class notes, and do Business and Finance stuff on it, primarily (group collaboration, Skype etc)

IF the choice is between the 2020 13" MacBook Pro or the iPad Pro, I recommend the MacBook Pro. You're able to access the academic journals, and workflow is much easier on a Macbook. Plus, if you go into graduate school, you may need specialized programs such as SPSS that does not work on an iPad Pro.

>Do you think my MacBook is still worth keeping or should I get the trade in value? Will it start getting slower with macOS 10.16?

I recommend keeping it. I also doubt MacOS 10.16 will slow it down. I expect 10.16 to be a "tock" release, where it's just a bunch of bug fixes.

>Any kind of advice is very appreciated!

Keep your current setup. IF you want to go further academically OR your current MacBook Pro stops working, then pull the trigger on an MacBook Pro 2020. iPads are great until you start pushing them at their limit, and then everything breaks down.

• Love
Reactions: vaio_v
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.