Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Diggi

macrumors member
Original poster
May 21, 2009
Minneapolis
Please make your recommendations for a dual GPU or 2xGPU that will work in my Mac Pro, 5,1 mid 2010… I understand the GPU must be metal capable in order to utilize the Mojave firmware update/upgrade.

I’m running 2 Apple Cinema displays via DVI ports, and primarily use this machine for Logic Pro X.

Many thanks for your recommendations!

rp7777

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2020
Please make your recommendations for a dual GPU or 2xGPU that will work in my Mac Pro, 5,1 mid 2010… I understand the GPU must be metal capable in order to utilize the Mojave firmware update/upgrade.

I’m running 2 Apple Cinema displays via DVI ports, and primarily use this machine for Logic Pro X.

Many thanks for your recommendations!
Until recently I had 5 Cinema displays running on my Mac Pro 5,1 Mid 2012 (same as your Mid 2010).

This was:
2 x 20" Cinema Dispalys
2 x 23" Cinema Displays
1 x 30" Cinema Display

Mac Pro running Mojave (10.14).

GPU is an MSI Radeon RX 580 Armor MK2 8G

GPU has:

2 x HDMI
2 x DisplayPort (1.4)
1 x Dual Link DVI-D

The 30" Cinema Display was connected to the Dual Link DVI-D port (as the 30" requires a DL-DVI-D for full resolution/performance).
The 2 x 23" Cinema Displays were connected to the DisplayPort ports with a DP to DVI adapter.
The 2 x 20" Cinema Displays were connected to the HDMI ports with a HDMI to DVI adapter.

This worked perfectly. All displays worked at full native resolution for the display.

Would still be using this but "downsized" and replaced the 5 displays with a 5120 x 2560 40" Lenovo display running off the same GPU via 1 DisplayPort port.

If you have/want to run more than 1 30" Cinema Display, I believe it is possible with an active adapter via one of the DisplayPort ports.

Diggi

macrumors member
Original poster
May 21, 2009
Minneapolis
Until recently I had 5 Cinema displays running on my Mac Pro 5,1 Mid 2012 (same as your Mid 2010).

This was:
2 x 20" Cinema Dispalys
2 x 23" Cinema Displays
1 x 30" Cinema Display

Mac Pro running Mojave (10.14).

GPU is an MSI Radeon RX 580 Armor MK2 8G

GPU has:

2 x HDMI
2 x DisplayPort (1.4)
1 x Dual Link DVI-D

The 30" Cinema Display was connected to the Dual Link DVI-D port (as the 30" requires a DL-DVI-D for full resolution/performance).
The 2 x 23" Cinema Displays were connected to the DisplayPort ports with a DP to DVI adapter.
The 2 x 20" Cinema Displays were connected to the HDMI ports with a HDMI to DVI adapter.

This worked perfectly. All displays worked at full native resolution for the display.

Would still be using this but "downsized" and replaced the 5 displays with a 5120 x 2560 40" Lenovo display running off the same GPU via 1 DisplayPort port.

If you have/want to run more than 1 30" Cinema Display, I believe it is possible with an active adapter via one of the DisplayPort ports.
Thanks a ton! May I ask which display port/dual link DVI adapter you used?

rp7777

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2020
Thanks a ton! May I ask which display port/dual link DVI adapter you used?
Here are links to the 2 adapter types I purchased - these are an Australian site with AUD pricing:

DisplayPort to DVI: https://www.mwave.com.au/product/ugreen-20405-displayport-to-dvi-mf-converter-ac07164

HDMI to DVI: https://www.mwave.com.au/product/alogic-15cm-hdmi-m-to-dvid-f-adapter-cable-mf-ab88948

Note: the DP to DVI are not Dual Link (Dual Link required for 30" Display).

The native DVI port on the RX 580 support Dual Link DVI so my 30" was connected to that directly with the Cinema Displays DVI cable.

If you want to connect an additional 30" (or connect to DP instead) then some other adapter will be required for that to provide DL capability.

I am not across exactly how to do that/what is required but remember talk of this elsewhere. If you search these forums you should find mention of this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.