Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Trombino

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 6, 2010
iPhoto and Aperture do not allow me to organize my photos using a key photo to represent my folders. I want to view all my folders (filled with grouped images) in a browser window where I see only a key image representing what's in the folder. iPhoto does this with events (projects in Aperture) but they do not allow this feature when I scan my folders. With thousands of events/projects it's impossible to browse my folders easily. Is there a photo organizer or plug-in that allows me to do this? I do not need editing features. I also have Expression Media 2 with no luck.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
I'm confused. Are you talking something like this? (See attachment)

Those are projects I imported and I can see every pic in the project when I mouse over the thumbnail. I can also set a key photo if I wish. This is in Aperture 3.

Attachments

• Aperture.png
    Aperture.png
    471.7 KB · Views: 104

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
iPhoto and Aperture do not allow me to organize my photos using a key photo to represent my folders. I want to view all my folders (filled with grouped images) in a browser window where I see only a key image representing what's in the folder. iPhoto does this with events (projects in Aperture) but they do not allow this feature when I scan my folders. With thousands of events/projects it's impossible to browse my folders easily. Is there a photo organizer or plug-in that allows me to do this? I do not need editing features. I also have Expression Media 2 with no luck.

My question would be, why are you not using iPhoto to browse your collection of photos, using the Events key photo feature? You can move photos from one Event to another, combine and split Events. You are not limited to the Events that iPhoto initially creates. I feel that there is more to your question than we think, perhaps?

Trombino

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 6, 2010
My question would be, why are you not using iPhoto to browse your collection of photos, using the Events key photo feature? You can move photos from one Event to another, combine and split Events. You are not limited to the Events that iPhoto initially creates. I feel that there is more to your question than we think, perhaps?

Yes, but with over 1000 events, it is hard to search. What I want is the same functionality as deployed in events but with a folder hierarchy. I want to see my folders with a key photo identified. Also, I am unable to move photos within events, I can only do it within folders.

emorydunn

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2006
Austin Texas
Yes, but with over 1000 events, it is hard to search. What I want is the same functionality as deployed in events but with a folder hierarchy. I want to see my folders with a key photo identified. Also, I am unable to move photos within events, I can only do it within folders.

If you use iPhoto you shouldn't be looking at the actual files in Finder. But correct me if I'm wrong but do you want hierarchical Events? You might look at Adobe Bridge I don't use it but it may be able to do what you want.

Trombino

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 6, 2010
I'm confused. Are you talking something like this? (See attachment)

Those are projects I imported and I can see every pic in the project when I mouse over the thumbnail. I can also set a key photo if I wish. This is in Aperture 3.

Yes, this is close. I would have to use stacks to group like photos within projects. I also had some difficulty with when clicking on a project, program would open the wrong folder (actually directs me to 2 different folders, one od which is correct). Odd. Import time is also a huge problem in Aperture. BUt, all in all, closest to what I'm looking for if I employ stacks heavily. Thanks for your reply.

Trombino

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 6, 2010
Have you looked at iView before?

iView is no longer. It has been incorporated into Microsoft Expression Media. I already have this. Some questions about future as it was dropped from Expression Studio. Thanks.

Trombino

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 6, 2010
If you use iPhoto you shouldn't be looking at the actual files in Finder. But correct me if I'm wrong but do you want hierarchical Events? You might look at Adobe Bridge I don't use it but it may be able to do what you want.

I am not using the finder. Yes, I am considering Bridge. Thanks.

photorecon

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2010
request for thumbnail image for folders

You can use Fotobounce to do this. In Fotobounce, each file system folder may be converted to a collection. A collection is one of four album types (places, events, keywords and collections). Each collection (album) has a representative photo thumbnail from the collection. The representative thumbnail can be changed easily.

I have attached a screen shot.

Hope this helps!

Attachments

• collection.jpg
    collection.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 91

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
This comes up often. You're running Mac OSX, not Windows. You may not modify the file structure if you use either program.

photorecon

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2010
This comes up often. You're running Mac OSX, not Windows. You may not modify the file structure if you use either program.

Good point - but if you are importing photos from a CD/DVD and there is a folder/file structure then that can be maintained in your albums.

And, of course, if you create an album by drag & drop you can assign the thumbnail that is representative for that album. So the feature that the original poster is looking for [having a thumbnail to represent an album] is definitely possible with Fotobounce.

AndyGordon

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2009
Cambridgeshire, UK
But with over 1000 events, it is hard to search. What I want is the same functionality as deployed in events but with a folder hierarchy. I want to see my folders with a key photo identified. Also, I am unable to move photos within events, I can only do it within folders.

You can create a hierarchy in Aperture using a Album/Folder structure like this.

The only thing you can't do in Aperture automatically is to just assign one key photo to display at the Album level, although you can of course select all the images in a folder/album and 'Stack' them, and within the stack promote one image to be the first in the stack, which will be the one displayed.

So maybe Aperture can do what you want with a little bit of thought into structures and stacks?

Cheers

Andy

Attachments

• aperture.jpg
    aperture.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 73

Trombino

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 6, 2010
Thanks

Thanks. I'm having some success using stacks to solve my problem. Not ideal but getting used to it.

You can create a hierarchy in Aperture using a Album/Folder structure like this.

The only thing you can't do in Aperture automatically is to just assign one key photo to display at the Album level, although you can of course select all the images in a folder/album and 'Stack' them, and within the stack promote one image to be the first in the stack, which will be the one displayed.

So maybe Aperture can do what you want with a little bit of thought into structures and stacks?

Cheers

Andy

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.