Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boubouoz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
I've been searching for a compact camera good in low light condition... and I can't find it!!! I already have a Canon 400D, and would like to buy a second camera, a pocket camera, to take pictures during party, and at work. So, a good camera to take indoor pictures, and in low light condition. I don't really care about very hight ISO (1600 and more), because they create noise. I will try to shoot at 400 max, maybe 800 if I really need too, but no more. I've heard a lot about Fuji F31, but it's out of production. So, do you have some advices?

the Helix

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2003
Agree with the F31fd

I have a Fuji F31, and when set at ISO 800, it's 80-90% as good as my Nikon D50 at ISO 800. :)

Indeed, the Fuji F31fd is probably the best lowlight, high ISO point and shoot cameras available today. Well, not exactly available because it is so hard to find due to the incredible demand.

In fact, many advanced and pro shooters have the F31fd in their arsenal along with their pro. dSLR. You'd be lucky to find one at the price that it was originally sold for, but if you can get one, you'll understand why that camera is so coveted.

My 2¢

Butthead

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2006
Indeed, the Fuji F31fd is probably the best lowlight, high ISO point and shoot cameras available today. Well, not exactly available because it is so hard to find due to the incredible demand.

In fact, many advanced and pro shooters have the F31fd in their arsenal along with their pro. dSLR. You'd be lucky to find one at the price that it was originally sold for, but if you can get one, you'll understand why that camera is so coveted.

My 2¢

All PnS digicams are a compromise in low-light situations due to smaller pixels in smaller sensors.The only reason you'd need a higher ISO PnS is for manual control of higher shutter speeds, otherwise using image stabliziation and slower shutter speeds will typically get you the same thing at lower ISO settings.

The Fuji F31 might still be available, just not at the reduced prices when it was still a current model. Do a Google produce search and you will find it listed.

That being said, you might find the Fuji F50 to your liking, even if some here on MR claim it has terrible output. All depends on what you shoot, what your expectations are. If you can find a shop that has an F50 and will let you take some samples shots with your own SD card, then try it out in the store, point at darkest areas of the interior, take the SD card home and view on your screen and print out some samples...or wait for the review sites to chime in.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/cu...1622-6102846?ie=UTF8&n=502394#customerReviews

boubouoz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
yes, the Fuji F31 is out of production, and I can't find it anywhere in Norway. Do you know another good camera (or decent) good in low light condition. I would like to take decent pictures at Iso 400, with not too much noise. I tought about F50, but I read a lot of bad review about that camera, Noise at 100.... That's what I don't want!!!!

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
It's funny, because I had this crappy Canon SD/IXUS series point and shoot camera,and only purchased the Fuji F31 because Fuji announced that the F50 would replace the F31!! I didn't want to miss my chance! I purchased the F31 one week later while in Japan. :)

I had always planned on getting an F31 anyway. I just wasn't expecting Fuji to replace it so quickly. I don't know what I'll do in a few years after it breaks. :eek:

If you want a good low-light camera with few manual controls, then get the Fuji F40fd. It's still a fantastic camera, but lacks a bunch of manual controls available on the F31. However, the F40 is also smaller and thinner than the F31. It's not as good in low light, but since they don't sell the F31 or F30 anymore, I think it's probably the best low light p&s camera on the market right now. :) I could be wrong, though.

mr.666

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2007
fuji does make the best low light compacts... if you dont mind the xD card.

*edit- just saw fuji wised up and some (f50) take SD as well.
check out dpreview.com

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
The F20 is still available and has the same quality but some features less.

F50 has too small photosites, although it also has a 6MP mode.

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
I have the F10 (6mp) and while I study Photography, a lot of my photography friends always question what digital camera I use (I have a preference for film you see). I only use it for research, they on the otherhand have Canon 5D's, Nikon D200's or some such and cannot believe how good it is, even at 1600 iso.

Find a F10 if you can. The F50 isn't that good from what I hear and it uses the same lens as the F10, I was going to buy one in Japan when I was there last month but decided it wasn't worth it over the F10. Now I hear it suffers from quality issues I'm happy.

TimTheEnchanter

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2004
Minneapolis, MN
I have a pro photographer friend that swears by the Canon G9.
http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot-Digital-Optical-Stabilized/dp/B000V1VG5G/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/103-9860740-2248611?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1193419415&sr=8-1

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=812&modelid=15669

It shoots RAW mode, up to 1600 ISO, 12 MP, Image Stability and you can get attachable lenses too. Pretty much has everything! From what I've read, it shoot really good and clean in low light with lower ISOs because of built-in Image Stability.

Product Description
For those who want more than just a point and shoot experience without the complexity or bulk of a Digital SLR, the Canon Powershot G9 stands above the competition with 12.1 megapixels of resolution, a 6x optical zoom with Optical Image Stabilizer, and RAW mode for the ultimate in creative control. Sophisticated design and high-quality construction in a relatively small package complement the technology and make the G9 a camera to be reckoned with. Built-in Flash modes - Auto, Auto w/ Red-eye Reduction, Flash On, Flash On w/ Red-eye Reduction, Flash Off; FE lock, Safety FE, Slow Synchro, Second-curtain synchro White Balance Controls - Auto, Preset (Daylight, Cloudy, Tungsten, Fluorescent, Fluorescent H, Flash, Underwater), Custom1, Custom2 ISO Sensitivity - Auto, High ISO Auto, ISO 80/100/200/400/800/1600 equivalent Memory card slot supports SD/SDHC, MultiMediaCard (MMC), MMC Plus, and HC MMC Plus Cards A 32MB MMC Plus Card is included, however we suggest purchasing an Optional 2GB memory card. It will allow you to store a lot more video and images, as well as take advantage of the camera's high Resolution abilities. Interfaces - USB 2.0, NTSC/PAL RCA Video and Audio Out Print directly to Canon CP/SELPHY Compact and PIXMA Photo Printers as well as PictBridge compatible printers via the included USB 2.0 cable without the need for a computer! Approximate Unit Dimensions - (WxHxD) 4.19 x 2.83 x 1.67; Unit Weight - 11.29 oz. (Body without Battery and memory card)

Little bulkier than a "pocket" camera but it's not too big for what you get. I'm planning on getting one myself, maybe for christmas.

TTE :)

boubouoz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
I finally found the F31!!!!! After hours and hours on internet, trying to get the perfect compact camera, I bought the Fuji F31 on eBay. I think I will be very happy with it. I read reviews about a lot of camera available at the moment, and none off them are good in low light. Noise start at 400 Iso, like the F40, and even at 100 Iso for the F50, apparently. Can you tell me what's wrong with the xd card? Expensive or slow???? I heard there are a few model, which one is the best to buy? Thanks

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
Why not try a 35mm P&S? You could get something like the Yashica T4, which has a 35 f/3.5 Zeiss lens and is also rather small. It's VERY cheap compared to anything digital, especially considering the fact that barely any digital P&S (with the possible exception of the Ricoh GRD) can rival its IQ.

Drop in some Portra 800 and you're golden!

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
If we talk film, at one point I was looking to find a Fujifilm Natura Black.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.