Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

beachdawg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 27, 2009
I'm a graphic designer and I'm looking to print some high quality photographs from home. I'm looking to replace an Epson R200. Can someone recommend any good home printers in the $100-$200 range? It seems almost all printers have gone to all in one's.

Some printers I am considering...

Epson 1400 (a refurb from epson for $160)
Epson RX 680 (all in one printer...I'm guessing this replaced the r200?)
Epson Artisan 700 (all in one printer...newest from their line)

has anybody used any of these printers or has a printer that they just LOVE?

I'm a graphic designer and I'm looking to print some high quality photographs from home. I'm looking to replace an Epson R200. Can someone recommend any good home printers in the $100-$200 range? It seems almost all printers have gone to all in one's.

Some printers I am considering...

Epson 1400 (a refurb from epson for $160)
Epson RX 680 (all in one printer...I'm guessing this replaced the r200?)
Epson Artisan 700 (all in one printer...newest from their line)

has anybody used any of these printers or has a printer that they just LOVE?

Your best bet is to increase the amount your spending from 100-200 to around 300-400 and buy used. That will open to door to vastly superior models.

You should stay away from all in one printers and you are definitely wrong in that most printers are going that route. There are still a ton of options available that are not all in one printers.

beachdawg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 27, 2009
well I just meant that I can't walk into best buy any longer buy a non all in one printer. they used to sell the r1400 in there. i know i can still find them online, it's just been frustrating that the stores themselves have gone that route.

so it's worth paying the extra $200 for say the r1800 or r1900 from epson?

well I just meant that I can't walk into best buy any longer buy a non all in one printer. they used to sell the r1400 in there. i know i can still find them online, it's just been frustrating that the stores themselves have gone that route.

so it's worth paying the extra $200 for say the r1800 or r1900 from epson?

Well in that regard you are correct. Stores like Best Buy do carry a majority of all in one printers however you just need to understand that is not a representation of what is currently available. That is just what Best Buy carries .

Its absolutely worth paying the extra cash and moving up. Not only are the printers better but the ink that the printers use is also vasty superior. Personally I would look into getting a used Epson Photo 2200. You should be able to buy one used for around 300 bucks and they are perfect for graphic designers. It has up to 11x14 size and has high quality ink.

Here is a pic

2200_front.jpg

Actually its been awhile since I have looked at Epsons new printers. I would say the R1900 is perfect for what your talking about and for 400 it seems like a pretty good deal. I used the 2200 photo for many years and had great results with it. That is why I recommended that model. i would say go with the r1900.

jakfrost

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2008
Ontario Canada
Its absolutely worth paying the extra cash and moving up. Not only are the printers better but the ink that the printers use is also vasty superior. Personally I would look into getting a used Epson Photo 2200. You should be able to buy one used for around 300 bucks and they are perfect for graphic designers. It has up to 11x14 size and has high quality ink.

Well I too have been looking around for a decent photo printer after my Epson R800 decided to clog up its print head, which seems a fairly common occurrence with the Epson line. And it is not easy to disassemble the printer to get at the head for a manual cleaning. I tried the 'printer tools' for head cleaning, etc so many times I was running out of ink with no luck. So in the garbage it goes. :mad:

I have been looking at 'dye-sub' printers and they are coming down in price it seems...anyone have experience and/or recommendations?

Jim

Hey Beachdog, Epson is having a 24 hour sale and that R1900 has 150$ mail in rebate attached to it now. I dont know if you have purchased it yet or not or even if your still interested. I just remembered this thread and thought I would give you a heads up. Its 24 hours only so go check it out if your interested.

Well I too have been looking around for a decent photo printer after my Epson R800 decided to clog up its print head, which seems a fairly common occurrence with the Epson line. And it is not easy to disassemble the printer to get at the head for a manual cleaning. I tried the 'printer tools' for head cleaning, etc so many times I was running out of ink with no luck. So in the garbage it goes. :mad:

I have been looking at 'dye-sub' printers and they are coming down in price it seems...anyone have experience and/or recommendations?

Jim

Actually if you read the Epson manuals they specifically tell you not to let the printer sit for long without making prints as it can clog up the heads. I run at least 1 print a week through mine and sometimes I make a print just for the hell of it because of this fact. The result is that I have never had a single issue with head clogging on my Epsons and I have had 6 of them in total now. I do however know a lot of people that have left their printer idle for weeks on end and those people do eventually wind up have problems with such clogs. In all honesty it makes perfect sense given the technology. Ink dries and the nozzles openings are very very very small. You have nothing to fear from Epson printers as long as you dont leave it sitting. You do what I do and you will never have a problem with clogging ever again. If you are going to leave it sitting for long periods there are things you can do to make sure it wont clog.

As for Dye Sub, I wouldn't recommend it as they are more expensive and you will spend a lot more money in the long run plus they dont have nearly the selection paper wise that you do with the ink jets. Ink Jets have really come into their own in the last 5 years and its simply the best option right now for in regards to the quality you get for the price.

jamesarm97

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2006
I bought the R1900 some time ago and love it. Makes nice prints up to 13x19. The only drawback so far is no one locally carries the ink, so order a spare pack or two so you wont be caught without any.

- James

By the way I have seen some posts regarding the Nikon D40 lately. This 24 Hour sale has a package deal with a Nikon D40 and an Epson Photo 1400 for 549.00. Thats 300 bucks off. Again not sure if anyone is interested but thought I would give a heads up.

I just caved and purchased the R2880 and saved 200 bucks. It seems like it will be a nice upgrade from my 2200 Photo. I dont do much printing at those sizes but its still a necessity.

I bought the R1900 some time ago and love it. Makes nice prints up to 13x19. The only drawback so far is no one locally carries the ink, so order a spare pack or two so you wont be caught without any.

- James

You want to order it online anyways as I have never seen prices in a store that can compete with the online prices.

beachdawg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 27, 2009
thanks guys =) I think I am going to go with the r1900. Now I'm just debating on whether to buy the refurbished one for $380 and be done with it at that price out the door or buy the $550 new one and get $150 rebate. I just hate the hassel of the stupid rebates. Still waiting around on my 6 rebates from my computer purchase last month. Has anybody bought a refurb printer before? Any problems with that?

beachdawg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 27, 2009
any suggestions on where to buy extra ink from? epson, ebay or someplace else? I have called around and like your town, there are no places around here that sell the ink for it.

Captpegleg

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2009
any suggestions on where to buy extra ink from? epson, ebay or someplace else? I have called around and like your town, there are no places around here that sell the ink for it.

I've gone through several Epson printers over the years and the only time I ever had a problem with the print head was when I cheese-balled and bought generic ink. Learned my lesson and I only use Epson ink and no problems since. May be just coincidence but that's my experience.

jakfrost

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2008
Ontario Canada
I am on my way back to Future Shop to return the Epson Artisan 800 I bought on Friday, to replace the third HP 7280, all of which had intermittent paper jams.

Despite raving reviews the Epson refuses to print anything close to what I have on my screen, and after 32 attempts with the same image, using every option available, including 3 different types of paper, its all crap. WAY overblown on the 'VIVID' scale. Blows the highlights right off the paper and her face looks like 3rd degree burns.

I managed to get it close to the HP reproduction, details in the highlights and neutral skin tone, just like the image, but only after massive manipulation of the settings in the printer.

Not the kind of effort I'm looking for to print a simple 4x6.

Oh, and the paper tray is the flimsiest piece of junk I have ever seen. You have to remove it entirely to reload...?? Crap for 400.00.

Jim

NStocks

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2008
England
I am on my way back to Future Shop to return the Epson Artisan 800 I bought on Friday, to replace the third HP 7280, all of which had intermittent paper jams.

Despite raving reviews the Epson refuses to print anything close to what I have on my screen, and after 32 attempts with the same image, using every option available, including 3 different types of paper, its all crap. WAY overblown on the 'VIVID' scale. Blows the highlights right off the paper and her face looks like 3rd degree burns.

I managed to get it close to the HP reproduction, details in the highlights and neutral skin tone, just like the image, but only after massive manipulation of the settings in the printer.

Oh, and the paper tray is the flimsiest piece of junk I have ever seen. You have to remove it entirely to reload...?? Crap for 400.00.

Jim

I was really thinking about getting that printer, or the model below but I didnt because my nearest store wanted £70 more than I can get it for ( they wouldnt price match ).

And the paper tray like you say is flimsy... I really love the printer but that is the biggest let down.

Did it really matter that much though, I mean it only going to hold a few sheets of paper.

NStocks

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004

Jim

I was interested in that printer, but I didn't like some reviews at Epson's site (mainly trays). Plus, it doesn't have a duplex ADF.

Then I didn't like some reviews of the OfficeJets at HP's site. Plus, they don't have duplex ADF.

I was going to get the Canon MX850, even if there's no duplex for fax, and it cannot fax from Mac.

Then came the HP Photosmart Premium All In One with Fax C309, and it solved those failings from the Canon. As there were no real reviews, I gambled. I am happy so far (I've only had it for a few weeks).

jakfrost

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2008
Ontario Canada
Well returned the Epson to the store for a full refund, nice way to check out a printer, although that wasn't my plan. No refund for the $30.00 worth of gas...

They had almost no stock so came home to do some more research, and have been rummaging around for reviews on the HP 8180. There are lots of opinions...most like the ease and options of the setup, quality of the prints and scans, but disappointed with the time it takes to produce a print, and the size of the paper trays. Not a big issue for me. I'm not trying to run a business with it.

It does have some features I probably will never use, like the optical burner, ( why bother...? ), and so the price is a little steep I find, but since I have a stack, ( like hundreds ), of HP Premium 4x6 Photo paper, and a couple of packs of the '02' ink cartridges which this unit uses, I might just give it a try.

Anyone have experience with this unit?

Jim

pixproff

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2009

Try Amazon or Adorama for the ink. They always seem to have it in stock.

GoKyu

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2007
New Orleans
Jim

Jim - Are you using a color-managed workflow? In other words, are you calibrating your monitor (preferably with a hardware device, not just eyeballing the colors in the calibration module under "Displays" in System Prefs.)

If you aren't calibrating your monitor, you'll have to go through extensive (as you've now seen) trial and error to see if your colors look correct when printed. Nearly all monitors have some kind of at least *minor* color cast, usually red, yellow or blue, so correcting an image on an uncalibrated monitor is a lesson in abject frustration (I know, I went through it myself :))

Another important part of this is to have a printer profile for your model of printer. Unfortunately, most consumer-level printers don't give you these for free - you'd need to go to somewhere like inkjetart.com and have them make a custom profile for you.

If you want to stay with Epson (which I recommend), you'd need to get a slightly higher-end printer, like the R2200, R1800 (which I have), R1900 (R1800's replacement), R2400, R2800, or something higher like the Stylus Pro series (these are pretty huge printers though) in order to get profiles that come with the printer.

It's not as hard as it sounds, and it makes a huge difference in actually being able to print very close to what you see on screen, and to know that your colors are correct.

Hope this helps,

-Bryan

jakfrost

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2008
Ontario Canada
Thanks for the input Bryan, I will have another look at the Epson, particularly the R1900. It has been in the market for a year now and I would think the small niggily glitches in the early issues have been resolved. Like the ink cartridge conflicts...

Also a friend has a 'Spyder' that I could borrow and see if I could get a more accurate color profile than the 'eyeball' manual effort I have been working with...

Thanks agin for your time to reply, as an official member of the 'uneducated masses', I appreciate your input.

Jim

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.